View all Kansas Fire Services Partnership members
Butler County Fire District #3
Butler County, the largest county in the state of Kansas geographically with an
area of 1,428 sq miles, is served by a total of 9 Butler County Fire Districts,
4 City Fire Departments, 1 Cowley County Fire District, 1 Consolidated Fire
District and Frontier Refinery Fire Department in El Dorado.
Butler County Fire District # 3 covers 71 square miles in southwestern
Butler County, serving 8000 citizens in the rural areas of Pleasant and
Townships and the City of Rose Hill. We have automatic aid agreements
with Andover Fire to our north, Butler County Fire District # 8 to our east and
Sedgwick County Fire District # 1 to our west, which adds 93 automatic aid
square miles to our coverage area.
In an effort to keep service delivery costs within the means of the community, a
23 member volunteer contingent is utilized. These volunteers are supported by a
career staff of 3 individuals. The District's organizational philosophy is one
of meeting the District mission by the effective use of skilled volunteers
supported by a career staff. During weekday business hours, when volunteers are
working, at school, or otherwise not available, the volunteer response group is
supplemented by career staff response. The District responds in excess of 600
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Age: Candidates must have reached their 18th birthday at the
time of employment
- Residence: Fire Department employees are required to live within 30
minutes legal driving distance to the fire station. Firefighters must maintain a
phone, either cell or home.
- Education: Candidates must be high school graduates or possess a G.E.D.
certificate. Firefighter 1 and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certifications
are required prior to employment.
- Written Entrance Examination: Successful completion of written exam
administered by Hutchinson Community College Fire Service Training.
- Candidate Physical Assessment Test: Successful completion and current
certification of the IAFF/IAFC/CPAT test.
- Character: Candidates must have the ability to relate to people in a
positive manner. Candidates are subject to an employment history and background
investigation by Butler County Fire District #3.
- Drug Screening: Candidate must pass post-conditional job offer drug
- Physical Requirements: Candidate must be in good health, and must pass a
physical prior to final job offer. Weight must be proportionate to height.
- Military: Candidates with prior military service are required to furnish
a copy of their discharge.
- License: Candidates must possess a current, valid Kansas Drivers License
at the time of employment, with a good driving record.
- Work Schedule: The work schedule is Monday Thru Friday 8:00 AM until 4:00
PM with training twice a month. There is also the possibility of within a year
of hire going to a work schedule of 24 hours on duty, 48 hours off.
BUTLER COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT #3 EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
Butler County offers employees:
- Medical Plan – Preferred Plus of
Kansas. There are Single and Family plans
- Prescription Drug Plan – Preferred Options Network. Co-pays apply.
- Dental Plan – employees participate in Delta Dental of Kansas. Co-pays apply.
- Vision – employees participate in Vision Care Direct. Co-pays apply.
- Life Insurance – employees are entitled to a $10,000.
- Flexible Spending Accounts – employees participate in Health Care and Dependent
Care reimbursement accounts.
- YMCA Discount
- Butler County Employee’s Association
Employees become members of Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS)
after July 9th, 2009.
- KPERS Life – KPERS provides life insurance equal to 150% of a member’s
- KPERS Group Optional Life Insurance – employees participate in term life
insurance up to $250,000.
The salary range for the position of firefighter is $25,545.52 to $34,370.34
LEAVE AND HOLIDAYS:
Employees accrue 10 to 20 days of vacation per year depending upon their length
of service and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Butler
County employees enjoy 10 paid holidays as established by
the Board of Butler County Commissioners.
Butler County offers eligible employees a tuition
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM:
Various referral and counseling services are available for employees and their
Butler County Fire District #3 is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you have any questions about employment with Butler County Fire District #3
Butler County Fire District #3
P.O. Box 383
911 N. Rose Hill Rd.