View all Kansas Fire Services Partnership members
Derby Fire Department
THE CITY OF DERBY
With a current population of approximately 21,000 residents, Derby, Kansas is
the second-largest city in Sedgwick County and one of the fastest growing
communities in the state.
Once labeled as just another suburban bedroom community, Derby has grown beyond its residential offerings and developed into a retail center for the surrounding areas. Situated just a few minutes south of Wichita, Derby is accessible from the Kansas Turnpike and Kansas Highway K-15 and is served by air from Mid-Continent Airport.
THE DERBY FIRE DEPARTMENT
The City has two fire stations. Fire Station # 1, built in 1988, is located on the west side of the City. Fire Station # 2 was built in 2002 and is located near the growing east side of the city on Rock Road.
All interested candidates must complete the Kansas Fire Service Partnership Job Application Profile and testing process.
The City is looking for candidates who are interested in a career in firefighting. Candidates must have previous firefighting experience, FF1 certification, EMT certification and a desire to help others.
Fire personnel will perform technical and professional services for the residents of Derby. Candidates must also have the ability and dedication to go into the public sector (schools, churches, community organizations) and educate the community about fire prevention and protection.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE:
- Age: 18 and over
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent GED Certificate, and Firefighter 1 certificate
- Written Entrance Examination: Successful completion of written exam administered by Hutchinson Community College Fire Service Training.
- Candidate Physical Assessment Test: Successful completion and current certification of the IAFF/IAFC/CPAT test.
- Psychological Evaluation: Successful completion of a psychological examination administered by a licensed psychologist designated by the City of Derby
- Drug Screening: Applicant must pass post-conditional job offer drug screening
- Physical Requirements: Applicant must be in good health, and must pass a physician’s physical examination prior to final job offer.
- Driver’s License: Must possess a valid Kansas driver’s license at the time of hire, with a good driving record.
- Criminal Background Check: Applicant must pass a criminal background check.
- Certifications: To be considered for employment, applicant must possess FF I Certification and a current Kansas Board of EMS or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Level B Certificate or higher.
- Residency Requirement: Fire service personnel must be able to work call back and are required to either live within the corporate limits of the City or within 10 minutes lawful driving time of the corporate limits of the City, by the most direct route. Such employees are to maintain their residence according to the requirements of the ordinance as long as the City of Derby employees them.
- Nepotism Policy: No person shall be considered for a position in any department if that person is a member of the immediate family of another employee within that department.
Work Schedule: The work schedule is 24 hours on duty, then 48 hours off duty, Example of a typical work schedule: On duty 7:00 am Monday to 7:00 a.m. Tuesday. Off Tuesday and Wednesday, then on duty again at 7:00 a.m. Thursday.
CITY OF DERBY BENEFITS INCLUDE:
The City has a competitive vacation policy. Employees are paid bi-weekly and have 26 pay periods per year.
- Paid Holiday Time: 12 designated paid holidays per year
- Sick Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Injury Leave: Full-time, regular City employees are entitled to injury leave if the employee becomes physically disabled while performing on-the-job assignments. Injury leave is accumulated at a rate of 4 hours per month. A maximum of 40 hours of injury leave may be accumulated.
- Pension: All full-time firefighters participate in the Kansas Police and Fire System (KP&F).
- Life & Disability Insurance: Life insurance and long-term disability coverage are provided by the employer through KP&F.
- Tuition Reimbursement: City of Derby offers eligible employees a generous tuition reimbursement program.
- Health & Dental Insurance (2007 rates)
Preferred Plus of Kansas:
Single $20.22 / pay period
Family $63.53 / pay period
Single $1.94 / pay period
Family $5.58 / pay period
- Section 125 Pre-Tax Compensation Plan: Employees have the option to have medical and dental expenses deducted from their paychecks on a pre-tax basis. This plan also allows for employees to set aside pre-tax dollars in dependent care reimbursement accounts.
- Uniforms: Firefighters are provided protective clothing and work uniforms.
The City of Derby is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you have any questions about employment with the City of Derby please contact:
Human Resources Manager
City of Derby
Derby, Kansas, 67042-0792