View all Kansas Fire Services Partnership members
Great Bend Fire/EMS Department
Located in the Heart of Kansas, the city of Great Bend is the largest town and the county seat of Barton County. With a population of approximately 15,500, Great Bend is the retail, service, and medical center for several surrounding Kansas counties and communities. Growth is taking place at a rapid rate with the addition of several new businesses, a new housing development, a new cemetery, and the addition of a new water park.
Great Bend is an excellent place to raise a family in a quiet, relaxed environment. The community offers several outstanding schools, both public and private. Our middle school and high school have both been newly remodeled and expanded. Great Bend is also home to Barton County Community College for anyone interested in higher education. Homes are both affordable and available, with most buyers often able to get more for their money.
Living in Great Bend offers the best of all worlds. It sits at the crossroads of U.S. Highways 56, 156, 96 and 281, giving it excellent transportation advantages. It offers the feeling of a small town atmosphere with all the amenities of a larger community. In addition, its central location in Kansas offers easy access to urban areas.
For additional information on Great Bend, visit www.greatbendks.net.
Great Bend is served by two fire/EMS stations located at 1205 Williams and 5856 10th Street. Our station on 10th Street is new and was officially opened in October 2003. The department provides structural, rural and wildland firefighting service to the city of Great Bend as well as four surrounding townships. Emergency medical services are provided at the paramedic level to these same areas and to the western half of Barton County. Other services provided by the department include building inspection, fire inspection, code enforcement and fire prevention.
The Great Bend Fire/EMS Department currently has 29 full-time employees and 5 part-time employees. Personnel are divided into three 24-hour shifts that work a modified 56-hour workweek.
- Age: 18 and over
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)
- Written Entrance Exam: Successful completion of written exam.
- Candidate Physical Assessment Test: Successful completion of the IAFF/IAFC/ CPAT test or equivalent.
- Psychological Evaluation: Successful completion of a psychological examination administered by a licensed psychologist designated by the City of Great Bend.
- Drug Screening: Applicant must pass a post-conditional job offer drug screening.
- Physical Examination: Applicant must pass a physician’s physical examination prior to final job offer.
- Driver’s License: Must possess a valid Kansas driver’s license at the time of hire.
- Criminal Background Check: Applicant must pass a criminal background check.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B): To be considered for employment, applicant must possess a current Kansas Board of EMS or National Registry
- Firefighter Training Program: Once hired, applicant must successfully complete the Great Bend Firefighter Training Program.
- Residency Requirement: Firefighter/EMTs are required to live within a seven-mile radius of the City of Great Bend.
The City of Great Bend provides, as a sampling, the following benefits for full-time employees:
- Paid vacation leave after one year of employment.
- Paid sick leave after three months of employment.
- Eight paid holidays.
- Group health insurance through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The City pays 83% of the total premium cost for either a single or a family plan.
- Group dental insurance through Delta Dental.
- 401(a) retirement plan through ICMA Retirement Corporation. The City matches the first 4.5% of employee’s retirement contribution dollar for dollar.
- 457 deferred compensation plan through ICMA Retirement Corporation.
- Employee life insurance.
- Flexible benefits plan for qualifying insurance premiums, unreimbursed medical expenses, and dependent care expenses to be paid with pre-tax dollars.
- Educational assistance program.
- Employee assistance program.
The City of Great Bend is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you have any questions about employment with the City of Great Bend other than job openings that are listed through this site, please contact:
Terry Hoff, Director of Human Resources
City of Great Bend
P.O. Box 1168
Great Bend, KS 67530
(620) 793-4108 (fax)