To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Larned
Job Title: WATER MAINTENANCE WORKER I
City of Larned is seeking Water Maintenance Worker I. This non-exempt position is responsible for performing a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of light-duty equipment in construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City water mains and connections. Pre-employment drug screening is required. Salary is DOQ.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operate light equipment such as truck, dump truck or tractor.
- Operate handheld and other equipment to accomplish tasks such as jackhammer, tap machine, water pumps, sewer and vacuum machines.
- Work on repairing, patching or replacing water and sewer lines, manholes, water valves, meters, setting meter tiles, either in a preventative maintenance effort or in response to a call for service. Dig trenches and repair, replace and install water and sewer lines.
- Assist in tapping mains and installs copper and plastic lines, repair and install new fire hydrants.
- Clean, repair, unclog water and sewer lines, manholes, drains.
- Inspect/repair meters, connections, and main breaks ensuring all aspects of system to properly function.
- Maintain variety of records relating to inspections and maintenance activity, fire hydrants etc.
- Cut, fit, lay, repair, clean, and flush water mains, pipes, gates and fittings as needed for repair of mains and sewers installation of services. Shutting off broken sections of water mains.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Load, or unload materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to directions.
- Erect or dismantle shoring, braces, barricades, or other temporary structures.
- Requests needed materials.
- Check water tower, water wells, and chlorine system and changes chlorine bottles.
- Maintains equipment in operating order and makes minor repairs and service.
- Assists in updating sewer, water; and fire hydrants maps.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in water system maintenance, construction and repair activities.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; work safely.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to operate computers and software necessary to complete assignments may include word processing, spreadsheet, databases, global positioning equipment, software downloads from systems, etc.
Required Education and/or Experience:
High school education or GED; six months to twelve months related experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or one year to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Class B CDL
Possess or have the ability to obtain a Class I Water and Class I Wastewater System Operator Certificate issued by KDHE
12/26/2014 12:00:00 AM