To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Garden City Community College
Job Title: LPN-RN Nursing Instructor
- Masters of Science Degree in Nursing (MSN) and current license to practice nursing in the state of Kansas.
- One year of demonstrated nursing ability in a hospital setting.
Preference will be given to those candidates who establish the highest level of professional competency as evidenced by:
- Community college teaching experience at multiple skill levels.
- Ability to communicate effectively in speech and writing.
- Knowledge of computer-assisted learning strategies.
- Ability to motivate and teach students of diverse learning styles and backgrounds.
- Commitment to the discipline through involvement in professional organizations and activities.
- Clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Ability to stand and sit for extended periods; speak and hear clearly in group settings and at distances of 30 feet; maintain physical mobility, alertness, and composure; utilize appropriate presentation materials and equipment; and transport self and equipment to various campus/community/area sites as needed.
Faculty Profile Personal and Professional Qualities:
- Strong commitment to quality teaching, student learning, and academic excellence.
- Learner-centered, able to facilitate the learning process, to inspire, motivate, and help students to succeed.
- Appreciation and respect for student role, contribution, and responsibility in the learning process.
- Commitment to develop learning outcomes and design alternative approaches to learning.
- Ability and willingness to apply knowledge of academic or occupational areas in designing strategies related to learning outcomes.
- Commitment to integrate new technologies and strategies into the learning process.
- Commitment to using technologies and instructional support resources to address learners' unique needs.
- Intellectual and ethical qualities that evoke confidence and respect.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, openness to change, willingness to experiment and innovate.
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
LPN-RN Nursing Instructor - Technical Education Division
This is a full-time contract position under the direction of the appropriate Division Director and the Dean of Technical Education. The primary assignment is to provide instructional services and learning facilitation for students in the Nursing Division by offering a variety of nursing-related courses.
This assignment includes (but is not limited to
) the following:
- Professional Responsibilities: participating in local, state and national professional organizations; staying informed of current trends in nursing education and practice; serving as a role model for students, graduates and Registered Nurses; and maintaining Kansas RN licensure
- Institution Responsibilities: participating in college activities (general faculty meetings, in-service, committees); responding to assignments, schedule, budgets and carrying out any additional responsibilities or duties the administration deems necessary within the guidelines and policies established by the President and the Board of Trustees.
- Curricular/Program Responsibilities: cooperatively developing, implementing, evaluating and revising (as needed) curriculum in both didactic and clinical areas; interpreting the programs philosophy, policies, objectives and student role to clinical learning sites and follows the established policies/protocols of the clinical learning sites whether observational or hands on; planning, providing, supervising and evaluating learning experiences for students in class, campus lab and clinical learning sites; counseling, advising, and referring students as necessary for recruiting.
- Performing other relevant tasks as assigned.
Based on the minimum and/or desirable qualifications. Placement on the salary schedule is based on verification of experience, relevant degrees and upper division/graduate course work. Position is a 172-day base contract.
Extensive Benefit Package
- Health care/hospitalization coverage for employees and eligible dependents (up to $525.00 paid monthly by Trustees toward premium cost). Two plans to choose from, each with a limited dental program.
- Paid sick leave—12 days annually, accumulates to 90 days total.
- Retirement coverage through Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS).
- TIAA 403-b employer retirement plan.
- Free GCCC tuition for employee, spouse and minor dependents.
- Free pass for employee, spouse and immediate family members to most college-sponsored events.
- IRS Section 125 cafeteria salary reduction plan to purchase nontaxable health insurance, medical expense reimbursement and dependent (child) care reimbursement.
- Free use of Super Circuit facilities for employee.
Term of Employment
This is a full-time bargaining unit position, 172-day faculty beginning August 2017.
The screening committee will conduct all minimum qualification appraisals as set forth on the vacancy notice and reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant an interview. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of the time and place of the interview. Interviews are usually held on the Garden City Community College campus and are conducted by an Interview Committee. Additional interviews and/or teaching demonstrations may be required. Travel costs related to all interviews will be borne by the applicant.
For more information, please contact:
Application and information are available at www.gcccks.edu or contact:
Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive
Garden City, KS 67846
(620) 276-0362; FAX (620) 276-9573
Applications must be completed in detail and clearly show that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications as set forth in the vacancy notice.
Each applicant must submit an application package, which includes the following:
Please submit only requested materials
- Letter of application, not to exceed five pages, which briefly states how applicant specifically fits the Faculty Profile of Personal and Professional Qualities and demonstrates past use of these qualities.
- Completed college application
- Detailed resume summarizing educational preparation and experience.
- Copies of all collegiate transcripts (unofficial copies acceptable for selection process).
- Up to three current professional reference letters or a placement file containing up to three letters of recommendation. Letters must be no more than two years old, signed and dated, and from persons having first-hand knowledge of applicant's professional qualities. Letters should address how the applicant's qualifications and experience relate to the position.
Only applications that are complete and fully address how the applicant meets ALL minimum qualifications will be considered for possible interview.
The college retains all materials submitted in the application process. Failure to submit all required application materials will result in the applicant not being considered for the position. Submission of application and related materials is the applicant's responsibility.
All application materials are subject to verification. False statements will be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
Application materials become the property of Garden City Community College and will not be returned. Application files for this position will not be considered for future openings.
Current employees should be aware that materials from their personnel files will not be included as part of the application packet, and they should therefore provide information on past and present employment in the same degree of detail as any other applicant.
About the College:
Established in 1919, Garden City Community College serves more than 48,000 residents in seven counties of rural southwest Kansas. It is a comprehensive community college which enrolls more than 2,300 credit students (1,260 FTE) on its main campus and at eight outreach locations each semester, and an additional 1,000 students in its non-credit Finney County Community Learning Center programs at two additional off-campus locations. The 230-member full-time staff includes approximately 70 full-time faculty members in the academic transfer and technical programs. The college employs an additional 200 to 250 part-time staff, adjunct faculty and work-study students on campus and at the outreach locations.
GCCC funds instruction in five academic/transfer divisions and a technical division, as well as a wide variety of instructional support and student services activities. The college supports vigorous cultural, arts and multisport athletic programs, and offers on-campus residential living for more than 300 students.
Garden City Community College offers lower division courses for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges or universities, occupational and technical courses for students who strive to gain competence in employment skills, and general education courses for all students to provide an awareness of the ideas and ideals of our diverse cultural heritage.
The college offers extensive continuing education and learning support services programs which include Business & Industry, continuing education, community service, adult education, library and comprehensive learning center. Technical offerings including programs in John Deere Agriculture Technology, Ammonia Refrigeration, Industrial Production Technology, Automotive Technology, Nursing, Police Science, Criminal Justice, Emergency Medical Services, and Fire Science, as well as programs in office occupations, agronomy, animal science, wood production technology and a variety of computer applications.
Garden City Community College does not discriminate against applicants, employees or students on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit reasons, or handicap, nor will sexual harassment be tolerated, in its employment practices and/or educational programs or activities. Those concerned about the above should contact Sara Koehn, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9574.
Garden City Community College is complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act, and is committed to equal and reasonable access to facilities and programs for all employees, students and visitors. Those with ADA concerns, or who need special accommodations, should contact Melanie Hands, Accommodations Coordinator, Garden City Community College, 801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846, 620-276-9638.
2/1/2016 12:00:00 AM