Employer: City of Larned
Job Title: Wastewater Maintenance Worker I
General Overview of Position and Responsibilities: Under the general supervision of the Superintendent of Wastewater, this non-exempt position is responsible for performing a variety of semi-skilled and skilled technical and maintenance work in the operation, maintenance and repair of wastewater treatment facilities and systems. Pre-employment drug screening is required. Salary is DOQ.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitor the performance of all equipment, gauges and charts in the treatment plant and pump stations.
- Record statistical data concerning plant operations.
- Maintain, operate, repair and replace equipment as necessary.
- Chart lab test results for trend analysis and maintain accurate records of analyses and test results.
- Evaluate data and write reports as required.
- Operate, maintain and repair malfunctions at the wastewater treatment plant; repair gauges, pumps, filters and other controls and equipment.
- Collect samples and identify concentrations of chemical, physical or biological characteristics of wastewater required in accordance with local, state and Federal requirements.
- Gather and test wastewater samples for plant efficiency reports as required.
- Perform quality control tests on lab equipment and lab analyses; evaluate procedures and results for accuracy and determine appropriate methods.
- Assure that plant operates within required standards.
- Train and maintain lesser skilled operators in acceptable lab methods and procedures to assure accuracy of test results.
- Contain and dispose of hazardous wastes generated by the lab.
- Calibrate, modify or repair instrumentation and control equipment including recorders, flowmeter and other water quality monitoring equipment.
- Operate and maintain sewage pump stations; clean wet wells and operate pumps and valves to control and adjust flow and treatment process.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and janitorial duties, along with misc. maintenance.
- Respond to frequent call-backs and to on call status.
- Work to improve customer service.
- Work with other departments to ensure efficient and effective service delivery.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Serve on various employee or other committees as assigned.
- Maintain the drawings and schematics of electrical and other systems in the treatment plant.
- Monitor performance of electrical systems, circuits or equipment of the treatment plant.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the competencies, knowledge, skill, abilities, required education and or experience to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is subject to call out, working weekends, holidays.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; works well in group problem solving situations.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Communication - Listens and gets clarification, ability to read, write and understand instructions.
Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Ethics - Works with integrity and ethically.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Working knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in wastewater treatment plant maintenance and operation activities; working knowledge of laboratory procedures and practices.
- Ability to perform process control calculations; Ability to work safely.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to operate computers and software necessary to complete assignments may include word processing, spreadsheet, databases, global positioning equipment, software downloads from systems, etc.
Required Education and/or Experience:
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or one year to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Class B CDL
Wastewater Treatment Facility Operator I Cerrtification issued by State of Kansas (KDHE) within one year of employment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
11/16/2016 12:00:00 AM