To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Winfield
Division: Police Department
Job Title: Patrolman
Salary: $15.23 Hourly
CLASS TITLE: Patrolman
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Police Sergeant or other supervisor
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Under general supervision, patrols an assigned beat and investigates incidents in the enforcement of law and order in the protection of life and property; conducts criminal investigations. Work varies requiring individual judgment within prescribed standards and procedures.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES ARE: Operates an automobile in an assigned area for the prevention of crime and the enforcement of traffic laws and regulations; responds to radio and telephone dispatches and appears at scenes of disorder, crime and fires; notes and reports traffic hazards; assists in controlling traffic at scenes of emergencies; investigates and prepares reports on offenses, accidents, and damages to property; checks businesses; gives directions and information; makes arrests; issues citations; serves warrants and subpoenas; gives verbal warnings; prepares reports on arrests and property impounded; directs traffic; books prisoners; inspects to assure property protection; inspects establishments providing alcohol beverages and entertainment; intervenes in private or public disputes to protect the public and maintain order; appears in court as arresting officer; transports prisoners; performs initial and follow-up investigations of crimes involving adults and juveniles; investigates complaints; interrogates witnesses and suspects; issues citations for parking and moving violations; assists fire department, ambulance service, and other agencies as required; occasionally serves as dispatcher; speaks before school and civic groups as required; impounds and tags evidence; provides general assistance to the public; may serve in specialty areas or assist as instructors as assigned; escorts parades and processions.
OTHER DUTIES INCLUDE: Business escorts; unlocks vehicles; assists civil defense; responds to animal calls; attends to animal shelter; removes road debris; performs other duties as assigned. Prepares reports of own activities and investigative and operational reports; works regularly with some information which is generally limited; responsible for equipment and materials requiring minimal servicing and occasional accountability; occasionally handles small amounts of funds; contacts with the public and fellow employees are frequent and in which considerable tactfulness is required; position requires employee to perform a multitude of movements and moderate, and occasionally heavy, physical work; hazards, including exposure to erratic humans, require care and use of proper safety equipment and procedures to prevent injuries.
SUPERVISION - RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS: May assist new employees.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Graduation from high school or GED; prefer 60 semester hours of college course work in criminal justice or closely related field and/or certified as a Police Officer with one year of law enforcement experience; possession of a valid driver’s license.
EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE CRITERIA AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Effectively patrols assigned areas deterring and detecting crimes; maintains peace and order.
- Effectively and properly controls crime, traffic, and emergency scenes.
- Conducts investigations properly and effectively; effectively interrogates suspects, prisoners, and witnesses; reports completed are complete and clear.
- Properly serves civil processes.
- Speaks clearly and precisely before groups.
- Trains in, maintains, and applies knowledge of current laws, ordinances, departmental policies, procedures, rules, instruction, regulations and police literature; complies with departmental policies and procedures.
- Analyzes situations and adopts a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action giving due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances of each situation.
- Maintains good physical condition and agility.
- Maintains and applies current knowledge of safe and proper use of firearms and weapons.
- Deals tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Follows and demonstrates proper safety procedures at all times.
- Ability to perform moderate physical work, occasionally heavy work, and ability to lift 100 pounds and to lift and carry over 100 pounds.
- Ability to stand, walk, run, sit, ride, climb, bend, crawl, reach, push, pull, and perform similar body movements.
- Possesses hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to use fire arms, operate a vehicle, to use keyboard and other office equipment, prepare reports, and to subdue prisoners/suspects.
- Ability to talk and hear in person, by telephone and two-way radio; ability to see and read instructions, reports, policies and laws, and similar documents, and observe incidents.
- Establishes effective working relationships with fellow employees, superiors, personnel of other agencies, and the public.
Salary Range 13: $15.23 - 21.27
11/28/2016 12:00:00 AM