Employer: City of Garnett
Job Title: Building Official/Zoning Administrator/ADA Coordinator
THIS POSITION HAS A RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT AS FOLLOWS: MUST RESIDE WITHIN 3 MILES OF GARNETT CITY LIMITS OR BE WILLING TO RELOCATE TO MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS.
BUILDING OFFICIAL/ZONING ADMINISTRATOR/ ADA COORDINATOR
Department: Administration Reports To: City Manager
Position Summary Under the supervision of the City Manager, the Building Official / Zoning Administrator/ADA Coordinator is an administrative position within the city of Garnett. Work involves responsibilities for enforcement of national and local codes and zoning ordinances. The Building Official / Zoning Administrator/ADA Coordinator must be able to perform work outdoors in various weather conditions and must possess the strength and agility to maneuver in all phases of construction. The Building Official / Zoning Administrator/ADA Coordinator is the designated authority for the administration and enforcement of building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical codes, dangerous structures and ADA regulations. Responsibility extends to the examination of building plans before permits are issued, the supervision and inspection of buildings during construction, and the compliance with regard to construction standards, electrical codes, plumbing standards, mechanical codes and city regulations as related to dangerous structures, and ADA regulations. The employee’s work and actions are subject to general policy determinations of the city manager.
Examples of Work
* Performs public relations work for the department.
* Prepares and maintains necessary records and reports.
* Works with and fills in for the Fire Chief as necessary to enforce fire prevention regulations and in taking action to secure abatement of fire hazards.
* Serves as the Zoning Administrator as necessary to enforce the zoning and nuisance codes.
* Maintains records of all permits issued.
* Receives, reviews, and makes recommendations on contractor applications for electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas fitter, and general contractor licenses.
* Reviews plans for compliance with all codes and ADA regulations.
* Inspects private and public buildings during construction to ensure that all code and ADA requirements are met.
* Assists and advises homeowners, contractors, and others in interpreting codes and in removing violations. This includes issuing summons and testifying in court on occasion.
* Must attend monthly and any special Planning Commission meetings and/or hearings
* Other related duties as assigned.
Experience: At least three years of building construction and inspection experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED required, as well as technical knowledge of building construction.
Skills: Thorough knowledge of state and local fire and international building codes, electrical, mechanical, plumbing codes and ADA requirements.
Problem Solving: Frequent problem solving exists in this position. Helping citizens understand the different code regulations and working with contractors, property owners, engineers, and architects.
Decision-Making: Frequent decision making exists in this position. Determining whether work performed by contractors, owners, engineers and architects meet code requirements. Accountability: Employee is not responsible for budgetary control of department and does not participate in the annual departmental budgetary process.
Supervision: Direct supervision and job related decisions are occasionally reviewed by the city manager.
Personal Relations: Continual contact with other city departments and the general public.
Residency: The employee working in this position is required to reside within three (3) miles of the city limits of Garnett.
Working Conditions: Adverse weather conditions are factors in this position. Hazardous and dangerous situations may arise in the inspection of vermin infested and dangerous structure complaints.
1/11/2017 12:00:00 AM
1/23/2017 11:59:59 PM