To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Bel Aire
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Public Works Equipment Operator II
Title: Public Works Equipment Operator II Department: Public Works
Salary Schedule: Hourly, Non-Exempt Range: Step 1($15.30) – Step 13($20.58)
This position performs operational duties of automotive or specialized equipment used in construction or maintenance activities in the Public Works Department. Primarily involved in the operation of equipment in association with the parks, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, street and water divisions.
- Works under the general supervision of the Utility and Street Supervisor and the Assistant Public Works Director.
- Occasional supervision of staff as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs manual work and operates dump trucks, backhoes, skid steers, street sweeper, road grader, tractors and other powered equipment, and mechanical equipment used in construction and maintenance projects.
- Performs storm sewer, sanitary sewer, street, and water line maintenance and repair.
- Operates small equipment used in sewer work, street patching equipment, snowplows, mowers and other power tools as needed.
- Assumes on-call status on a rotating schedule and is subject to call-out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Assists with the maintenance and repairs to all public facilities and equipment.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in the operation of automotive or specialized equipment used in the construction or maintenance activities within a public works department.
- Must have a valid Kansas Driver’s License; CDL required.
- Must successfully complete Competent Person for Excavation & Trenching within 1 year of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled in the operation of tools, machinery or equipment used in essential or peripheral duties as listed above.
- Ability to operate equipment including utility trucks, skid steer, backhoe, snowplow, material spreaders, sewer equipment and other types of machinery used in construction and maintenance projects.
- Working knowledge of traffic regulations.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Able to make decisions and problem solve, working in collaborative groups and independently.
- Works well with other employees and the public.
- Basic computer skills.
Must have a valid Kansas driver’s license; CDL required.
- Some adverse working conditions exist with this position. Exposure to hazardous chemicals, heavy machinery, traffic, excessive noise, explosives, heights and natural gas in all types of weather conditions can be expected.
- Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling and climbing is required daily to fulfill the duties of this position.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, run, drive, push, pull, carry, see, hear, speak, crawl, use hands, climb, kneel, smell and other similar types of functions.
- The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move more than 110 pounds and frequently lift 25 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Most work will be performed outdoors in various types of conditions. Some situations may require the use of safety equipment and the following of safety protocol.
- The job is performed primarily during the daytime hours but the employee must be available for special situations and times.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
I have read this position description and understand its contents.
Employee Signature Date
7/17/2017 12:00:00 AM
8/31/2017 11:59:59 PM