To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Job Title: Director of Wichita/Sedgwick County Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department
Salary: $0 Annually
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Usual working days/hours: M-F/8:00-5:00
Location of work: 271 W. Third Street, Wichita, KS
- This position is in joint service to the City of Wichita and Sedgwick County, ensuring all laws, codes, regulations and policies pertaining to building and construction are consistently enforced.
Essential Job Functions:
- Deliver quality public services to the City and County through use of strategic planning, performance measures, teamwork, maximizing resources, innovative approaches and high performance combined with a high level of ethical standards.
- Direct and coordinate the work of supervisors and administrators in building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, sign, and zoning inspection and regulatory work, creating a positive work environment where teamwork is actively engaged between city and county employees who work within the department.
- Ensure applicability and compliance for all Federal, State and Local laws, code, guidelines, policies, resolutions, formulating any necessary policies and procedures.
- Conduct environmental analyses to determine changing citizen needs, changes within the profession, legislation and community, and recommend options, direction and pro-active response. Must be able to work with building and trade professional organizations that operate locally.
- Oversee the codes compliance of Wastewater and Water well systems, City of Wichita Neighborhood Inspection and Flood Plain code compliance in Wichita and Sedgwick County.
- Serve as principal advisor to City and County management, City Council and Board of County Commissioners, participating in business meetings regarding the department. Interacts with related advisory boards/councils, department heads, and senior staff. Must gain familiarity and be responsible for city and county budgeting, human resource policies, and fleet management.
- Must accept the ultimate responsibility for delivering results, while continually driving operational excellence, creating stakeholder value, and adapting with agility to changing circumstances. Must have strength regarding problem solving and forming viable partnerships. Ability to cooperatively and effectively communicate orally and in writing. Adaptive leadership experience and the ability to create a positive environment that will deliver results.
- Ability to provide quality customer service and establish positive working relationships with all stakeholders including employees at all levels, elected officials, senior management and the community.
- This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a college or university, specialization in engineering, architecture, building science, justice administration, public or business administration degree required.
- Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Five years of progressive leadership/management experience is required, preferably in the area of building science, architecture, structural engineering, or in the technical/ administrative aspects of public or building safety.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered which provides the required knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies.
- Depending upon experience and qualifications, attainment of Certified Building Official (CBO) certification may be required.
- Possession of a registered license to practice architecture or engineering may be substituted for the CBO certification.
- A general working knowledge of construction practices and procedures in commercial and residential applications and supervisory experience in code enforcement functions is preferred.
- Some day or overnight trips within Kansas, some out of state travel may be necessary.
- Must pass background check.
- Must pass urine and drug screen.
- Must possess a valid Kansas Driver's License.
- Desktop computer and/or laptop.
- Outlook programs or Office 360.
- Hardhat may be required in construction areas.
- Office and may visit job sites or attend neighborhood meetings in the community.
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice.*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
Immediate family and family of the employee’s spouse shall be considered husband, wife, son, step-son, son-in-law, daughter, step-daughter, daughter-in law, brother, step-brother, brother-in law, sister, step-sister, sister-in-law, mother, step-mother, mother-in law, father, step-father, father-in-law, grandchildren, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
2/2/2017 12:00:00 AM
3/31/2017 11:59:59 PM