To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Division: Health Department
Job Title: Office Specialist | WIC
Salary: $12.44 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Usual working days/hours:
Monday - Friday | 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, occasional late evening until 6:30 PM
Location of work:
1900 E. 9th St | Wichita, KS
This is a clerical position involving checking in clients for appointments, determining client eligibility, filing, telephone work, operation of the State of Kansas automated computer system, food check issuance, and other assigned responsibilities. This position requires a thorough knowledge of WIC program policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
• Performs customer service supporting program protocols.
• Answers telephone in programs call center.
• Documentation supports findings and program protocols.
• Makes appropriate referrals.
• Contributes to the success of the local program:
1. Applies policies and procedures appropriately
2. Reports success
3. Promotes breastfeeding
4. Provides WIC outreach to assist in keeping the assigned caseload at an appropriate level
• Excellent punctuality and attendance is maintained.
• Maintains a positive attitude and acts professionally. Shows multicultural respect and is able to build rapport with those she has contact with.
• Shows flexibility and adaptability to change.
• Is able to follow directions and ask for assistance as needed. Uses critical thinking processes in daily work.
• Submits paperwork on time.
• Supports Mission of the Health Department
• In some instances it may be necessary for bilingual staff to interpret or provide written translation.
• Current staff at SCHD who have not previously tested and speak a language other than English and also dialogue with clients in that language will take a fluency test and/or a medical interpreter skills test given by Propio Language Services over the phone. Propio Language Services provides a detailed report of the test results which includes ways to improve. SCHD pays for each test.
• If a staff member passes the fluency test, that person can continue to dialogue with clients who speak the language they were tested for. If staff passes the interpreter testing they will be allowed to interpret.
• If a staff member does not pass the fluency or interpreter test, that person will be offered additional training and can take the Propio test a second time when they are ready.
• If the staff member does not pass the fluency test and/or the interpreter test the second time, that person cannot dialogue with clients in a language other than English or interpret, but will continue to work at SCHD. The staff member can retake the test a third time after one year has passed from the time of the second test.
• If the position is bilingual required, the applicant must pass the fluency and interpreter testing prior to being hired.
• Employee is interested in further development.
• Knowledgeable of published County values and understand there significance to the organization.
• Proof of vaccination against certain diseases within 10 days of employment.
• Participate in TB screening program that includes baseline screening for M. Tuberculosis infection within 10 days of employment.
• Participation in Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan that includes training.
• Will respond to a public health emergency or disaster situation as directed by supervisor.
• Completed Tier 1 - ICS 100 and 700 (Incident Command System) training within 30 days of employment with results provided to designated Public Health Emergency Management staff.
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Two years of experience in varied clerical and office setting work or various experience in a public setting providing customer service would be considered. Including such skills as, but not limited to, computer experience, data entry, customer service, phone experience, office equipment use, decision making skills.
• Any equivalent combination of training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, abilities and competencies.
• Computer knowledge and typing skills needed.
• Bilingual Required.
• KBI background check.
• Must possess valid Kansas Drivers license appropriate to the vehicle operated.
• Must maintain in-force personal vehicle insurance if operating a POV while conducting authorized county business.
*Ability to work with participants of different socio-economic backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, values and languages.
*Utilizes the County Core Values and Customer Service Guiding Principles.
*Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public, with co-workers and supervisors.
*Uses County, Health Department, and State and Local WIC policies and procedures to make sound decisions and solve problems with little supervision.
*Works as an integral member of the site team, including maintaining WIC productivity standards.
*Correctly organizes tasks and set priorities to meet deadlines.
*Competent computer skills. Maintain current knowledge of KWIC software application.
*Able to express themselves clearly in written and oral communications and has excellent interpersonal skills.
*Maintains a thorough knowledge of WIC program policies, procedures and regulations.
*Follows client confidentiality and County HIPAA standards.
*Shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
*Follows OSHA blood-borne pathogen standards for handling blood products if contact is made.
*Maintains current knowledge of childhood immunization schedules.
*Acts as a role model to staff in areas such as loyalty, integrity, appearance and work habits.
*Ability to demonstrate flexibility and good judgment in managing crisis situations.
*May be asked to interpret for clients or translate materials.
*Able to complete other duties as assigned.
*Sit at computer for extended periods of time.
*Able to lift up to 40 pounds may be necessary at times.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.
• Background & DMV check
• Pre-employment Drug Screen
• Spanish proficiency test
• Sit at computer for extended periods of time.
• Multi-line phone, copier/fax
• Able to lift up to 40 pounds may be necessary at times.
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice.*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
Immediate family and family of the employee’s spouse shall be considered husband, wife, son, step-son, son-in-law, daughter, step-daughter, daughter-in law, brother, step-brother, brother-in law, sister, step-sister, sister-in-law, mother, step-mother, mother-in law, father, step-father, father-in-law, grandchildren, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
3/9/2017 12:00:00 AM
6/13/2017 11:59:59 PM