To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Wichita Area Technical College
Job Title: Academic Support Specialist (OASIS)
Salary: $18.27 Hourly
The OASIS Academic Support Specialist works under the supervision of the Director of Academic Support and Information Services to ensure WATC students, faculty, and staff have access to superior academic support services. The Academic Support Specialist is responsible for operation and supervision for tutoring at all campuses. This position requires excellent communication with faculty and staff to build strong relationships and ensure OASIS is meeting the needs of the college. The Academic Support Specialist must maintain a working knowledge of the academic standards and practices for the OASIS tutoring services. At all times, the employee must work to provide high quality academic support services for all WATC students and faculty.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises personnel providing tutoring services. Responsibilities include but are not limited to hiring, training, and managing weekly scheduling.
- Responsible for implementation and maintenance for the intrusive tutoring model.
- Collaborates with Director to schedule tutoring services at all college locations. Assists with assessing schedule for changes based on the changing needs of the college.
- Provides support to Director to maintain liaisons with all WATC academic areas to ensure the OASIS tutoring division is providing appropriate support for the needs of each academic area.
- Assists the Director with ensuring the OASIS tutoring division is certified according to certification needs.
- Assists the Director with ensuring tutoring staff are certified as per their job duties and continue to meet the requirements.
- Utilizes gathered data, assists the Director with assessing the OASIS tutoring services impact on students, faculty, and staff at WATC and implementing changes as needed.
- Assists the Director with evaluating and selecting electronic resources and software utilized in the OASIS tutoring division.
- Assists the Director to work with faculty and staff to improve opportunities for student success.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in a program of study represented at the college, required. Master’s degree, preferred.
- Leadership and supervisory skills are required to effectively organize, direct, motivate, evaluate, recruit, nominate, discipline, and otherwise direct the assigned staff members.
- Proficient use and knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel are required. Knowledge of SharePoint is preferred.
- Operating knowledge of software used in OASIS is required within 3 months of hire.
- Effective time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a timely manner, and the ability to prioritize tasks, projects and goals.
- Professional-level communication skills, including excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate effectively with others in arriving at solutions to complex problems.
Other Position Requirements:
- Work effectively and productively as a team member. Keep others informed of information needed. Treat others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintain effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Use diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrate effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintain acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensure appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Be flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produce quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identify what needs to be done and take appropriate action.
- Complete assigned work; meet deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Perform work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participate in at least 20 hours of professional development activities to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
- The OASIS is a customer focused service center. Employee schedules are adapted on a student and college needs basis.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Long periods of sitting or standing will be required. Sufficient vision and hearing are required to complete the work and interact with students, staff, faculty and the public. Independent travel to by car and public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.
4/11/2017 12:00:00 AM