To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Part-time Court Services Officer
Salary: $15.21 Hourly
40% Responsible for clerical and administrative duties for the Municipal Court.
- Type pre-sentence investigations, diversion agreements and motions to revoke or terminate probation or diversion.
- Schedule counseling and reporting for clients on probation or diversion.
- Issue Municipal Court commitment orders as directed by the Judge.
- Track final disposition of cases and closing cases after successful completion or termination of probation/diversion.
- Enter appropriate information into court software for tracking and record keeping.
- Maintain all probation/diversion records and reports and maintain data and records on all defendants.
- Maintain contact sheet and other records on each client, as directed by the Court Administrator.
- File and maintain probation correspondence and records in an orderly manner.
60% Responsible for coordinating probation and diversion functions for the Municipal Court.
- Receive reviews and make recommendations on diversion applications to the Court Administrator/Prosecutor.
- Process revocations of probation/diversion when clients do not satisfy program requirements.
- Issue reminder letters to probationers who fail to report.
- Make referrals to other agencies as needed and follow up to ensure completion.
- Perform diversion-related duties within the guidelines established by the Court Administrator.
- Monitor clients to determine compliance with probation/diversion; payment of fines; restitution; and/or completion of community service.
- Meet and counsel probationers/divertees.
- Answer public inquiries regarding probation related questions.
- Correspond with defendants, witnesses, and victims regarding pending cases.
- Coordinate and report status of all clients on probation or diversion.
- Interview victims of crimes and make recommendations on restitution.
- Provide information to citizens, police officers, judges, and attorneys on the procedural status of pending cases.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed to address business needs.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks. All purchase requests are referred to supervisor.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in reduced operating costs and liability and improved community satisfaction.
Latitude: Most duties are assigned and then employee arranges tasks in order to complete duties. Problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy.
Interaction: Continual interaction with employees throughout the organization, attorneys, and the general public.
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
College degree in related field preferred.
One year of court, legal, or related experience, preferred.
One year of court-related counseling, preferred.
- General knowledge of court procedures.
- Knowledge of business correspondence, filing, typing, and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate a 10-key calculator and other office-related machinery.
- Knowledge and ability to work productively within common computer software environments such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to learn and work productively in specialized computer software environments within the first six months of employment.
- Ability to access, input, process, and retrieve information from the computer.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Valid Kansas identification card or driver’s license required.
Work Environment: Office environment. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 30 pounds. Occasional bending, squatting, and twisting. Frequent use of manual dexterity and visualization of a computer screen throughout the day. Weekly evening court proceedings. Occasional overtime required.
4/20/2017 12:00:00 AM
5/7/2017 11:59:59 PM