To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Division: Planning and Engineering
Job Title: Building Inspector
Salary: $20.31 Hourly
80% Responsible for the administration of city codes.
- Inspect public and private buildings during construction to ensure that building codes and ordinances are being observed and buildings are in compliance.
- Review building permit applications and conduct plan reviews to see that all applicable provisions of various regulatory codes have been complied with.
- Advise and provide assistance to homeowners, contractors, and others in interpreting building codes.
- Inspect plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work during and after installation to determine conformity with prescribed standards and codes.
- Regulate and control the construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, and the location of structures within the city.
- Enforce compliance with construction standards, electrical codes, plumbing and mechanical standards and codes.
- Collaborate with the Building Trades Official to interpret the codes, schedule and perform inspections and perform other duties.
- Collaborate with the Building Trades Official and other city staff to make recommendations on the adoption of new codes and policies.
- Follow departmental policies and procedures.
- Operate motor vehicle on a regular basis.
20% Responsible for records and reports.
- Maintain and track logs and records related to building permits, inspections, and enforcement activities.
- Prepare and maintain proper records, reports, and documents related to the division.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. Regular participation in budgetary and strategic planning is expected. Negotiation, persuasion, tact, and diplomacy are essential for effectively performing tasks.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in improved policies and procedures, accurate code and regulation enforcement, community satisfaction, and better utilization of material, and/or equipment.
Latitude: Most duties are self-determined, planned, and arranged by performer. Problem solving requires advanced technical knowledge. Most decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization, general public, developers, and contractors.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Some college courses in building, construction, or inspection related field, preferred.
- Five years building trades or related experience, preferred.
- General knowledge of building codes, plumbing codes, mechanical codes, and electrical codes.
- General knowledge about construction materials and methods.
- Ability to read and use blueprints.
- Ability to access, input, process, and retrieve information from the computer.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and a good driving record, required.
- ICC certification in mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and building inspection are required within 24 months of employment.
- Plan Review Certification, preferred.
Work Environment: Frequent (70%) exposure to adverse weather conditions, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving or pushing of 30 pounds. This position requires the capability and mobility to inspect in areas of difficult access. Occasional (25%) bending, stooping, crawling, squatting, and twisting while doing inspections is required. Occasional attendance at evening meetings is required.
4/19/2017 12:00:00 AM
5/7/2017 11:59:59 PM