To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Wellington
Job Title: AIRPORT MANAGER
Under the supervision of the City Manager, the Airport Manager is an administrative and working supervisory position responsible for the management and operation of the Municipal Airport. Responsibilities include managing the overall operation of the airport; ensuring compliance with regulations; conducting inspections; providing for and performing maintenance and repair of equipment; preparing and submitting reports and documentation; and corresponding with the Kansas Department of Transportation, the Federal Aviation Association and other agencies. Duties include maintaining the airport grounds. The Airport Manager exercises considerable independent judgment and initiative. This employee is required to possess and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
- Researches, applies for, and administers grants, ensures compliance with funding requirements, reviews bid documents for Airport Improvement Program (grant) projects; recommends consultants for Council approval;
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships and communication with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Kansas Department of Transportation, and Fixed Based Operators.
- Monitors and maintains the airport grounds, runways, taxiways, signs, lighting, buildings, and equipment;
- Establishes and implements policies, procedures, objectives and guidelines for operation, maintenance and development of the airport;
- Implements programs for inspection, preventive maintenance and repair of airport facilities, roads, grounds, buildings and equipment;
- Works with airport tenants;
- Oversee, operate and maintain fuel tanks to include limited full service with prompt response time to customers and self-serve option after hours for fueling of aircraft with LL gas and/or Jet-A fuel;
- Performs required monitoring of fuel tanks and completes all required reporting;
- Provides snow and ice removal during inclement weather;
- Files reports and secures all required airport licensing and permits;
- Prepares annual operating and capital budget;
- Where Federal and/or State grant assistance is involved, ensure the timely application for aid, adequacy of documentation of grant agreements and compliance with conditions of grants, ensures timely processing of contract paperwork including payments to consultants, contractors and vendors;
- Participate with the Airport Advisory Board and attend monthly meetings to plan and promote improvements and expanded services; attend and participate in professional groups and committees to increase airport usage and fuel sales;
- Manages the development, negotiation and compliance of leases, contracts, agreements, and bids, in support of airport operations and development.
- Assists other departments as the need arises;
- Attends meetings of city council, as necessary, to make recommendations and/or provide information;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Experience: One to three years’ experience in airport operations and/or management is preferred.
Education/Licenses: A college degree is preferred in Aeronautics, Aviation Business Administration, Aviation Environmental Science, or a related field. Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Employee must possess and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
Technical Skills: A thorough knowledge of the operations, services, and activities of a municipal airport. Knowledge of pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes, and regulations relating to a municipal airport. Knowledge or principles and practices of project management, administration and coordination. Thorough knowledge of tenant and leasehold operations. Ability to deal tactfully with other persons and to communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing in the English language. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with airport tenants, users, and public. Proficiency in using computer software applications to include word processing, spreadsheets and data bases.
Problem Solving: Problem solving is a factor in this position. This employee encounters problems with equipment malfunctions, scheduling maintenance and addressing complaints from citizens and airport tenants.
Decision-Making: Decision making is a factor in this position. This employee makes decisions about closing airport runways and performing daily duties in the safest and most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee works with limited direct supervision from the City Manager, and exercises supervision over subordinate personnel.
Financial Accountability: This employee is directly responsible for departmental resources and equipment, and participates in the annual budget process.
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with other City department’s personnel and daily contact with the general public is expected.
Working Conditions: Work will include both indoor and outdoor activity where employee is exposed to elements of nature; cold, hot, rain, snow, sleet, ice, etc. Employee may be exposed to hazardous materials. Work hours may vary through the business week and weekends.
Physical Requirements: This employee performs daily walking, climbing, reaching, kneeling and stooping tasks, and operates departmental equipment. Employee is required to listen/hear. Ability to lift up to one hundred (100) pounds occasionally and up to fifty (50) pound frequently.
SALARY RANGE IS $36,912 TO $56,497 DOQ, with excellent benefits. EOE, Drug-free workplace.
4/20/2017 12:00:00 AM
5/8/2017 11:59:59 PM