To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Job Title: Veterinary Technician
Salary: $14.40 Hourly
Usual working days/hours:
40 hours per week
Location of work:
Assists the Veterinarian in all aspects of clinical, technical, medical, and clerical activities. Performs and examines laboratory tests. Prepares and maintains record keeping of all medical treatments. Sterilizes and maintains all medical equipment and supplies.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs laboratory work such as performing fecal examinations, blood counts, blood chemistries, urinalysis, fungal cultures, cytology, microscopic examinations and staining slides.
- Collects and prepares necessary samples for storage or shipment to outside laboratories.
- Accurate and timely data entry of/on various medical records and charts.
- Maintain files of x-rays.
- Establishes parasitology exam schedules to ensure that each animal is examined on a regular basis; schedules animals for prescribed vaccinations and coordinates the same with zookeepers.
- Orders and stocks drugs and sundries to maintain adequate inventory; disposes of expired drugs; ensures all medical carts are stocked for everyday use.
- Safely performs routine sterilization techniques utilizing gas and steam methods for surgical instruments; cleans ultrasounds and milks equipment and instruments before wrapping them for sterilization.
- Review and document sterilization dates.
- Administers medication both orally and by injection as prescribed by veterinary staff, ensuring accurate calculations of fluid volumes and doses.
- Become familiar with all equipment and perform &/or schedule preventative maintenance as needed to ensure good working order.
- Driving may be required for supply needs, animal transport or deliveries.
- Two year degree from an accredited college or technical school in Veterinary Technology or its equivalent.
- One year experience providing animal care or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- State of Kansas Registered Veterinary Technician License.
- Valid State of Kansas Drivers License.
No testing beyond Sedgwick County requirements.
Laboratory equipment, medical essentials, hose, shovel, scrub, rake, food preparation equipment, motor vehicle; animal care equipment and office equipment including computers.
- Outdoor and indoor, exposed to cleaning chemicals, animal waste, dust and weather.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position which include prolonged standing and kneeling, lifting objects, and working in outdoor conditions.
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at email@example.com
. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
Immediate family and family of the employee’s spouse shall be considered husband, wife, son, step-son, son-in-law, daughter, step-daughter, daughter-in law, brother, step-brother, brother-in law, sister, step-sister, sister-in-law, mother, step-mother, mother-in law, father, step-father, father-in-law, grandchildren, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
5/5/2017 12:00:00 AM
11/1/2017 11:59:59 PM