To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Job Title: Medical Records Coordinator
Salary: $17.50 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Usual working days/hours:
Monday - Friday | 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Location of work:
1929 W. 21st Street | Wichita, KS
Working supervisor-performs professional work directing and supervising the medical records team related to records management, scanning, retention schedules and limited medical transcription. Will also provide and lead the team in delivering quality customer service to internal and external programs and agencies with respect to medical record functions of document imaging, maintenance of patient records and supporting the functions of completing request for medical record information pursuant to state and federal guidelines/criteria for disclosure. Position will also play a key role in relationship building with all COMCARE programs, participation in the development and compliance with medical record guidelines related to work flow and timeliness for task completion, as well as problem solving issues related to medical record functions.
Essential Job Functions:
Direct supervision of 5 employees to include:
• Schedule and participate in hiring interviews.
• Orient and train new staff.
• Approve work schedules and manages electronic timesheets.
• Meet with staff to establish professional development goals.
• Complete performance evaluations.
• Monitor work performance.
• Assist staff with procedures and disciplinary action including recommendations for termination, as warranted.
• Participate in routine individual/group supervision and planning meetings with employees.
• Promote a culture of customer service excellence and continuous quality improvement through strategic planning and problem solving.
• Assures timely sorting, scanning and indexing of all documents that are received from external entities or documents generated internally that are not entered directly into our electronic health record.
• Assigns responsibility for checking the accuracy of scanned images is completed on a routine and scheduled basis.
• Coordinates destruction of source documents once quality checks are complete.
Manage Team Response To Record Requests
• Assist COMCARE staff with medical records/release issues by phone, email, or in person.
• Assist consumers, clients, and external entities with release and record request issues by phone or in person.
• Process requests for CONMED, Larned State Hospital, Osawatomie State Hospital, Coroner, Via Christi Behavioral Health (same day release expectation).
• Locate forms/releases needed to complete requests/obtaining physician signatures when required/confirming guardian/correcting client numbers.
• Review authorizations disclosing records to assure they meet state and federal requirements.
• Obtain provider authorization to disclose patient information.
• Manage charts that have been sent to storage and updating paper charts kept on site (name changes). Track and approve payment for storage of and retrieval of records.
• Send insufficient release letters and log closure of request in release log.
• Print records to be sent for records requests - this can be document specific or specific to a date range, must pertain to what is requested and what is authorized on the release.
• Mail or fax records and log completion of request in release log.
• Complete invoice for records and enter in payment log.
• Pull closed chart, inventory of boxes, log storage location.
• Handle client requests and inquiries related to obtaining own records. Review, print, log, assess fees.
• Assist staff in navigating Power of Attorney documents and guardianship documentation and requirements.
• Consult with County legal counsel regarding legal documents and complex record requests.
Organizational support functions
• Name and assign medical transcription and/or transcribe med providers dictation in PsychConsult (electronic health record). Also includes quality checks of completed dictation.
• Review obituaries and send notices for clients seen at COMCARE in the past two years.
• Utilize deceased client log to request autopsy reports from the county clerk. Complete incident reports for deaths by homicide or suicide.
• Process court orders/subpoenas including cover to cover orders for the courts.
• Print records for audits and other special requests.
• Maintain/reconciliation of change cash box.
• Conduct reviews of various news sources for clients in the news. Log and send info to QM team. Support to Quality Management Team and Health Links
• Participates in special projects as assigned.
• Provides support to the Director of Quality, Risk Management, Compliance and Innovation as needed to complete team commitments and data projects.
• Participates in quality improvement activities, as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public, or Business Administration, Political Science or a related field.
• Three years’ experience in progressively responsible and varied office management of staff work in a public or private organization including experience in personnel management, budgeting or procurement or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Valid Kansas Driver s License and proof of automobile insurance required. Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle, and meet Driver Qualification standards as set forth in Sedgwick County’s Fleet Vehicle Operation and Usage policy. Necessary Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to organize priorities and use data to drive team outcomes
• Strong and proven problem solving skills are a must
• Ability to use word processing, data base and spreadsheet software
• Ability to learn quickly, including use of an electronic health record
• Experience managing multiple projects with varied timelines
• Ability to effectively supervise, motivate and recognize employees
• Familiarity with state and federal privacy standards related to protected health information Preferred Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of local government record retention schedules
• Supervision experience
• Background checks including but not limited to KBI and DCF adult and child abuse registry.
• Driver's License Check
• Pre-Employment Drug Screen
• Primary environment is an office setting.
• Majority of work will be performed indoors in an office setting.
• Frequently sits at desk and operates computer.
• Work does require occasional bending and lifting and movement of full boxes of patient records.
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice.*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at email@example.com
. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
Immediate family and family of the employee’s spouse shall be considered husband, wife, son, step-son, son-in-law, daughter, step-daughter, daughter-in law, brother, step-brother, brother-in law, sister, step-sister, sister-in-law, mother, step-mother, mother-in law, father, step-father, father-in-law, grandchildren, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
5/5/2017 12:00:00 AM
6/4/2017 11:59:59 PM