To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Dickinson County
Job Title: Paralegal
Salary: $0 Hourly
The Paralegal performs varied legal duties. The main duties of the position are to prepare legal documents, to file documents with the court using the E-Flex filing system and to draft correspondence for criminal and traffic cases under the supervision of the office attorneys. The person in this position must exercise discretion with respect to matters concerning activities of the County Attorney’s office. This position greets visitors and answers the telephone to facilitate the smooth operation of the office. Information handled in this office is of a confidential nature.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all countywide and departmental policies and procedures.
- Operate office machines such as computer, calculator, postage machine, typewriter, copy and fax machines.
- Perform data entry, mailings, filing, typing correspondence, preparing the mail, and records management.
- Duplicate data, information, and records; compile records and reports; assemble a variety of routine reports and tables.
- Use software to produce correspondence, reports, tables, and schedules.
- Direct inquiries from telephone callers and visitors to appropriate attorney. Directs information to other departments if necessary and review documents for accuracy, completeness, and proper signatures.
- Assist with other office duties as required.
- Prepare a variety of motions including probation revocation, set aside diversions, adjudicate, continue, withdraw informal supervision agreement, reinstate prosecution, dismiss, stay prosecution, detention, and transport.
- Deal with a wide variety of contacts such as parents, law enforcement, social service, attorneys, courts, court services, community corrections and public.
- Prepare and file journal entries, legal documents, letters, invoices, reports, summons, complaints, motions, subpoenas, petitions, discovery, and extraditions.
- Code, prepare, dispose and manage all case files and office files.
- Perform other clerical duties such as scheduling, transcribing, composing and typing routine correspondence, reading and routing incoming mail, and filing correspondence and other records.
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of office procedures, records management, case tracking, and criminal and legal system.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to compose correspondence using correct grammar and spelling.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to operate a computer, calculator, and other related office equipment.
- Ability to concentrate on many different tasks at the same time while there are constant interruptions, telephone calls and questions.
- Ability to transcribe dictation involving complicated legal terminology.
- Ability to read and concentrate via typing and proofreading activities, including numbers, legal terminology, up to 50 percent of the time.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using the English language.
- Skills in organization, mathematical processes, time management and a high degree of computer proficiency.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with others.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to make independent decisions, use good judgment, accept results and receive constructive feedback in an appropriate positive manner.
- Able and willing to work with others toward achieving common goals. Demonstrate understanding of the importance of teamwork. Display positive attitude and support county policies and communicate properly.
- Demonstrate initiative in execution of work, comprehend instructions without close supervision and volunteers to assist others, produces the expected volume of work.
- Execute work thoroughly, accurately and in an organized manner.
- Accept responsibility and complete work assignments on schedule, without undue delays and within other established parameters.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and arrives and leaves at the prescribed times.
- Dress and groom appropriately for the job.
- Keep work area neat and orderly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION
High School Diploma or GED plus three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hand to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
5/19/2017 12:00:00 AM
6/2/2017 11:59:59 PM