To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: COUNTY ATTORNEY
Job Title: FILE CLERK
Salary: $8.50 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: File Clerk
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: $8.50 - $10.00
Reports To: Geary County Attorney
Department: County Attorney Date: May 2017
The job duties of the File Clerk include but are not limited to provide filing, pulling cases for docket, copying and sending discovery to parties; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the File Clerk might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of File Clerk. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Comply with all county and departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare documents for court according to docket including pulling files and contact District Court to answer problems.
- Act as Terminal Agency Coordinator for the KBI CHRI program for criminal history.
- Research disposition of old cases not recorded in KBI files.
- Conduct all file, docket, and miscellaneous document scanning into computer system.
- Prepare charges and petitions in cases.
- Deliver, pick up and distribute paperwork to and from Sheriff’s Department, Police Department and District Court.
- Open and distribute incoming mail.
- Prepare warrants or summons for Attorney’s and for Governor’s office in extradition cases.
- Process first appearance paperwork.
- Data enter new cases and warrant arrests, copy reports and files, prepare new case files.
- Contact probation offices for revocation cases.
- Copy and distribute indigent and officer affidavits.
- Other duties when necessary for the operation of the department.
Office Coordinator Functions
- Manage database and information extracted for budgets and grant purposes.
- Network/computer administration to include providing first level technical support to colleagues. Backup/shutdown file server, maintaining server, network and hubs.
- Manage office equipment contracts/leases.
- Prepare annual inventory for submission to County Commission.
- Prepare monthly vouchers for the bills, accounts payable.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree in a legal or Paralegal or other related field.
- Minimum four (4) years office experience required.
- Previous experience working in a legal office or court system preferred.
- A valid Kansas driver’s license required.
- Must reside within a 30 mile radius of worksite within 90 days of employment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Advanced knowledge of KBI CHRI program.
- Ability to use GIS and GPS software.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others regarding policies and processes in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to assist County Attorney in preparing budget – accounting and data gathering.
- Ability to provide accounting for the year and forecast if the budget is on target.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret financial reports and related materials.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily in an office setting.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above, and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
5/19/2017 12:00:00 AM