To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Job Title: Part Time Peer Support | Community Support Services
Salary: $11.24 Hourly
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Usual working days/hours:
Varied Days | Varied Hours
Location of work:
1929 W. 21st St. | Wichita, KS
Certified Peer Specialist assists adults with serious mental illness recognize their needs and desires in the process of recovery from mental illness. CPS teaches, supports and develops advocacy skills in partnership with consumers individually or in groups to assist them to reach their goals. CPS draws upon their own lived experience as someone with a mental illness who has been a consumer of mental health service to build trust and understanding with those they serve.
Essential Job Functions:
Major Job Responsibilities
- Utilize Wellness Recovery Action Plans for employment.
- Model competent and attest to how they have been able to overcome obstacles and achieve employment goals.
- Assist consumers in looking at disclosure issues in the workplace.
- Provide information to consumers about employment services and resources.
- Provide individual support to consumers who are working.
- Provide education to consumers about the benefits of working and the role of work in recovery.
- Provide assertive engagement and outreach to consumer who may be ambivalent about work, discussing pros and cons.
Essential Job Duties:
- Complete documentation within time and quality standards.
- Participate in supervision as scheduled.
- Participate in staff and team meetings as scheduled.
- Educate staff on the principles of recovery, use of peer providers and peer initiatives.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Provides transportation to support client attendance employment related tasks
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Ability to effectively communicate with people, both listening and speaking.
- Ability to develop and maintain rapport with clients, the general public and all levels of staff.
- Ability to write clear, concise documentation.
- Basic skills in group facilitation.
- Basic computer skills in word processing and email software.
- Knowledge of major mental illnesses and their impact on people experiencing the symptoms and the typical side effects of medications.
- Knowledge of community resources related to mental health, basic needs and peer supports.
- Must be 18 years old and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Certification to provide the service which includes criminal, abuse/neglect registry and professional background checks and completion of a standardized basic training program.
- Valid Kansas Driver’s License and proof of automobile insurance required.
- Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle, and meet Driver Qualification standards as set forth in Sedgwick County’s Fleet Vehicle Operation and Usage policy.
- Must self-identify as a present or former consumer of mental health services.
Additional qualifications include:
- Possess the awareness and judgment to intervene appropriately when dealing with escalating emotional situations.
- Possess the ability to negotiate several flights of stairs at a time and move effectively in varied settings throughout the community.
- Possess the mobility and judgment to execute personal protective measures.
- Able to calmly and effectively deal with agitated individuals or high risk situations.
- Demonstrate autonomous critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate good professional judgment and decision-making skills.
- Able to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Demonstrate good time management and organizational skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to handle competing urgent priorities.
- Possess basic or intermediate computer skills: able to learn complex software related to an electronic medical record.
- Background checks including but not limited to KBI and DCF adult and child abuse registry.
- Driver's license check
- Pre-employment urine drug screen
Computer and basic office equipment.
- Majority of work will be performed indoors in an office setting.
- Fast-paced environment and may occasionally work with combative emotional consumers.
- Frequently sits at desk and operates computer.
- Occasional lifting of personal computer equipment, peripheral devices, and supplies up to 50 pounds.
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice.*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
Immediate family and family of the employee’s spouse shall be considered husband, wife, son, step-son, son-in-law, daughter, step-daughter, daughter-in law, brother, step-brother, brother-in law, sister, step-sister, sister-in-law, mother, step-mother, mother-in law, father, step-father, father-in-law, grandchildren, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
6/14/2017 12:00:00 AM
9/17/2017 11:59:59 PM