To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Butler County
Division: Planning and Zoning- Building Inspection
Job Title: Building Inspector
Salary: $16.22 Hourly
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Planning and Development Director, the building inspector is a non-exempt position under FLSA responsible for the administration and enforcement of building, zoning, plumbing and electrical codes and regulations of the County. Responsibilities include examination, from a technical standpoint, of building plans before permits are issued, supervising and inspecting buildings during construction, enforcing compliance with construction standards, electrical codes, and plumbing standards, and code enforcement of County regulations.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
- Gives final approval to permits after applicant has complied with all provisions of various regulatory codes;
- Supervises the inspection of private and public buildings during constriction to insure that building laws are being observed;
- Assists and advises homeowners, contractors, and others in interpreting codes and in removing violations;
- Makes inspection of plumbing and electrical work during and after installation to determine conformity with prescribed standards;
- Interprets codes and regulations and answers inquiries regarding enforcement;
- Provides needed information required through reports according to department procedures;
- Works with advisory boards and Construction Appeals Board;
- Enforces the Architectural Barriers provisions of ADA;
- Code enforcement of County regulations;
- Advises Sheriff, fire, and/or other agencies on matters pertaining to public safety;
- Works with other agencies in time of peril or disaster.
- Attends continuing education courses to stay current with codes.
Job Title: Building Inspector
Experience: One to three years of building inspection experience. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after one year on the job.
Education: Technical degree or some college credit along with certification as a building inspector preferred.
Skills: General knowledge of civil engineering, uniform building codes, plumbing codes, mechanical codes and electrical codes, construction materials and methods, and zoning regulations. The ability to assimilate, collect and analyze data. The ability to understand and interpret oral and written instructions and manuals. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communications skills. Te ability to operate a calculator and other related equipment.
Problem Solving: Frequent problem solving exists in this position. Problems include maintaining complete, up-to-date and accurate records of all building and construction development in the County, enforcing the various codes and regulations, and handling citizen complaints and inquires.
Decision Making: Frequent decision making exists in this position. Decisions involve the interpretation of codes and zoning regulations and the selection of the appropriate constriction materials for compliance with laws.
Accountability: Employees participates in helping to determine annual department budget needs.
Supervision: Little to no supervision provided. Job related decisions seldom are reviewed before becoming effective. Employee may have supervisory responsibilities.
Personal Relations: Continual contact with other county departments and the general public.
Working Conditions: Occasional adverse working conditions may exist relative to weather conditions and when working at construction sites.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform moderate physical work; ability to lift 50 pounds and to lift and carry up top 25 pounds; ability to stand, walk, sit, ride, bend, stoop, climb, kneel, crawl, twist, push, pull and perform similar body movements; possesses hand/eye/ foot coordination adequate to write, draw, use hand tools, and operate a motor vehicle; ability to talk and hear in person, by telephone, and two way radio; ability to see and read codes and to make visual inspections.
7/10/2017 12:00:00 AM
8/22/2017 11:59:59 PM