To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Butler County
Division: Health Department
Job Title: County Health Administrator
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the County Administrator and the policy direction of the Board of County Commissioners, the County Health Administrator assumes the overall planning, budgeting, personnel and other administrative functions of the Department. This employee coordinates local government response to public health, coordinates and networks with other organizations and services. Supervision is exercised daily over all employees and programs of the agency. Although work is preformed according to federal and state guidelines, the employee in this position must exercise considerable independent judgment when carrying out responsibilities of the position.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
- Supervises, evaluates, hires, and terminates all health department personnel;
- Maintains all department files;
- Works with department supervisors in developing goals and procedures;
- Directs and supervises nursing care to high risk expectant mothers and babies;
- Plans and directs public health programs in accordance to KDHE and other federal or state regulations;
- Makes presentations to civic and church organizations;
- Acts as a liaison between Governing Body and groups of health care professionals;
- Writes grant applications and administers grant funds;
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for financial and grant purposes. ;
- Prepares and implements an effective budget annually;
- Maintains health records on clinic, individual, and family services;
- Initiates and participates in community programs for health department program education;
- Deals with health service complaints voiced by the general public;
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Job Title: County Health Administrator
Experience: More than five years of public health management or related nursing experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education: Graduate of an accredited four year university with a degree in public health or nursing is required, a Masters degree in public health or nursing is preferred. A Licensed Registered Nurse with a valid Kansas Nursing License is preferred but not required.
Skills: Comprehensive knowledge of public health related issues and regulations. Knowledge of budget process/preparation, grant preparation and management. Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills. Must have good oral and written communication skills and working knowledge of computer entry. Must have a valid Kansas driver’s license.
Problem Solving: Extensive problem solving is a factor in this position. Problems include planning and implementing new health programs, modifying programs due to fiscal changes, determining adequate staffing and scheduling as well as directing and supervising staff, addressing personnel issues and finding funding sources.
Decision Making: Extensive decision making exists in this position. Decisions include interpretation of public health issues and solutions.
Accountability: Employee is responsible for budgetary control of the department and participates in the annual budget process.
Supervision: Limited supervision is provided and job related decisions are occasionally reviewed by the County Administrator. Employee has supervisory responsibility over the entire department.
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with federal, state and local government, representative of businesses and continual contact with the general public. Participates in programs providing public health promotion and education.
Working Conditions: Possible adverse working conditions exist in this position including exposure to infectious diseases and weather conditions when traveling.
Physical Requirements: Light work in that the worker exerts up to 30 pounds of force occasionally to lift, pull, push, or grasp objects. The ability to express or exchange ideas by means of communications. Conveying and receiving detailed or important instructions and information to and from the general public. The ability to make fine discriminations in sound.
7/19/2017 12:00:00 AM
8/29/2017 11:59:59 PM