To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of El Dorado
Division: Fire Department
Job Title: Firefighter I
Applications will ONLY be accepted through the Kansas Workforce Center by mail, walk-in, or email.
- 522 North Main El Dorado KS 67042
CITY OF EL DORADO FIREFIGHTER
Behavioral Competencies: Public Relations, Professionalism, Results Oriented, Accountability, Decision Making, Commitment to Safety, Technical Knowledge, and Coachability
Position Summary: The Firefighter will perform general duty firefighting work in the protection of life and property by combating, extinguishing and preventing fires. The Firefighter shall also ensure the safe transportation of firefighters, apparatus and equipment to and from the scene of an emergency or other call for services when assigned to operate such equipment. An employee in this position performs specialized firefighting duties under emergency conditions frequently involving considerable physical danger. Work is performed under the direct supervision of superior officers but requires thorough individual understanding of firefighting methods, laying hose, pump hookup, pump operation, developing fire streams and detecting pump malfunctions. The employee is responsible for assisting in maintenance of fire equipment, apparatus and quarters as well as to insure the apparatus and equipment carried on the apparatus are maintained in a ready condition at all times.
Qualified Applicants will be 18 years of age or older and meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience:
- Possession of a valid Kansas Driver’s License.
- Valid CPAT upon appointment.
- Certification to levels of:
- Firefighter I (KU approved)
- Emergency Medical Technician-B (State or National)
- Fire Department Pumper Driver / Operator (within 12 months)
- Fire Department Aerial Driver / Operator (preferred)
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Acquire knowledge of the methods, principles and practices of modern firefighting operations and other emergency response;
- Acquire knowledge of the geography, hydrant locations, water supply systems and high risk buildings and facilities within the City of El Dorado;
- Become familiar with the Rules and Regulations and the Standard Operating Guidelines of the fire department.
- Acquire knowledge of City ordinances relating to the fire department, fire code enforcement and inspection areas.
- Must be able to operate equipment including:
- Basic office equipment (ex. telephone, computer, copy machine etc.)
- Motor vehicles
- Two way radio and SCBA
- Survey and chemical equipment
- Protective clothing
- Any other fire suppression equipment and apparatus available to the Fire Department.
- Withstand heavy physical activity during stressful and non-stressful situations;
- Control emotions and actions in stressful situations;
- Respond quickly and logically on the fire ground.
- Above average need to:
- Manually lift, move, carry and push heavy objects (200 lbs. or more);
- Ascend and descend ladders using feet, legs, hands, and arms;
- Work in high places while maintaining equilibrium to prevent falling.
- Above average exposure to extreme weather, toxic fumes and hazardous situations.
- Average exposure to blood borne pathogens.
Starting Wage: 11.02-15.63 hourly DOQ - Excellent Fringe Benefit Package, subject to overtime, 24/48 shifts
The City of El Dorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Alcohol & Drug screening is required.
7/21/2017 12:00:00 AM
8/21/2017 11:59:59 PM