Employer: Lincoln County
Division: Law Enforcement
Job Title: Jailer
Salary: $0 Hourly
Wage is based upon experience. As a Jailer this position is responsible for the daily management of inmates while maintaining safety and security with in the jail. Duties include but are not limited to; Documenting and maintaining records of inmate activities, addressing inmate request, escorting inmate to and from court, medical visits and visitation, serving 3 meals a day, performing security checks and identifying and responding to safety/security concerns. This position is also responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of the jail area as well as the rest of the facility.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or G.E.D., and be free of felony and/or serious misdemeanor convictions, have the ability to multitask, have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well under pressure and job related stress. Must be willing to work all shifts and weekends are a requirement of this position.
If selected for employment with Lincoln County, applicants may be required to submit to relevant employment testing for the purpose of determining the applicants capacity of performing the duties of the position. The cost of the examination will be paid for by Lincoln County. Cost of transportation and time involved taking the examinations are the responsibility of the applicant. In the event an applicant may need reasonable accommodation for this testing, Lincoln County will make this accommodation.
Lincoln County is committed to a Drug-Free Workplace. All extended job offers are contingent upon testing drug free.
Lincoln County Human Resource Officer
216 E Lincoln Ave
Lincoln, KS 67455
Lincoln County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Work Place
Full Job Descrption:
Under the supervision of the Lincoln County Sheriff, the Jailer position is a non-exempt position under FLSA. Primary responsibilities include safety and security, distribution of meals, medication, clothing and hygiene items, report writing, record keeping and facility maintenance in the Lincoln County Jail. It is the responsibility of this employee to ensure that inmates are maintained in a humane manner and ensure that the inmates are granted their constitutional rights. Employee must treat all information seen and heard in their position as confidential information. This employee has access to protected health information.
- Properly record and complete the inmate booking processes;
- Properly record and complete inmate release procedures;
- Fingerprint and photograph inmate;
- Properly access, input and retrieve information to complete and update records and reports;
- Distribute clean uniforms, bedding, and personal items to inmates;
- Accurately record the distribution of mail, meals, and medication;
- Transport and secure inmates to and from court, medical facility, or other law enforcement agency;
- Accurately records all activities of inmates;
- Maintain accurate accounting of inmate money and property;
- Supervise inmates during visiting hours;
- Monitor medical status of inmates and contact physician when appropriate;
- Properly record inmate information on log sheets or in log books;
- Supervise trustee work activities;
- Clean and maintain all areas of the jail facility, including gathering trash, washing laundry, vacuuming, cleaning kitchen and bathrooms;
- Maintains Material Safety Data Sheets for the department.
- Attend training sessions;
- Inspect and search inmate cells for contraband;
- Maintain inventory and order institutional supplies;
- Run miscellaneous errands;
- Assists with Emergency Preparedness response as assigned, according to chain of command;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or as assigned;
EXPERIENCE: Prior experience is not required. Employee must be 21 years of age at time of hire. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months to one year of employment.
EDUCATION: A high school diploma or GED is required. A valid Drivers License is required. Must have or be willing to obtain certification in first aid and CPR.
TECHNICAL SKILLS: Ability to deal with inmate problems on a daily basis. Employee must possess knowledge of crisis intervention, have good interpersonal skills, and be able to follow directions accurately. This employee must have a high degree of initiative. Knowledge of cleaning and disinfecting solvents required for sanitation. This employee must have the ability to make accurate judgments on inmate requests. The ability to operate TV camera and video equipment, firearms, typewriter, calculator, computer and other related equipment. Employee must have the ability to express or exchange ideas clearly both verbally and in writing.
PROBLEM SOLVING: Problem solving exists in dealing with special diets and medical needs of inmates.
DECISION MAKING: Decision-making is a factor in this position. Decisions include determining when to notify physician of medical or mental problems. This employee must have the ability to make decision in crisis or emergency situations. Must have the ability to prioritize needs and identify potential dangers.
SUPERVISION: This employee does not have supervision of subordinate personnel. This employee is responsible for the supervision of inmates.
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTABILITY: This employee is responsible for department resources but does not participate in the annual budget process. This employee is responsible for inmate’s money and personal property while in custody.
PERSONAL RELATIONS: Intense level of contact with inmates, moderate contact with other county departments and frequent contact with the public. Employee must have the ability to carryout duties and responsibilities while dealing with individuals of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, temperaments and personalities.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Some adverse working conditions exist in relation to handling combative inmates, exposure to noise, blood borne pathogens and cleaning chemicals is expected. This employee must be able to work as a member of a team under stressful circumstances.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Physical activity is required to perform the duties of this position. Some manual labor is required of this position, including bending, lifting, standing, walking, reaching, pushing and pulling.
ATTENDANCE: Employee must be at their job performing essential duties on a regular and continuing basis with no excessive absences.
10/20/2017 12:00:00 AM