City of Garden City
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Garden City. By submitting your application for any position with the City of Garden City, you understand and agree to the following statements. You represent and warrant that the contents of your application are true, to the best of your knowledge and belief; and that falsification, misrepresentation or omission of information could be just cause of dismissal at any time. You understand that you may be required to take relevant employment testing, for the purpose of determining your capability of performing the duties of the position. In the event you need reasonable accommodation for this testing or for the interview process, if selected, you understand that City of Garden City will make this accommodation. The City of Garden City reserves the right to require medical documentation concerning the need for the accommodation. If you are selected for employment by the City of Garden City, you agree to participate in the appropriate examinations, determined by the position, which may include pre-employment physical examination and drug screening, psychological, and physical capacity profile examinations.
Garden City, Kansas, is located near the center of the world’s largest winter wheat production area, 75 miles east of the Colorado State line and 200 miles west of Wichita, Kansas. The City encompasses 8.57 square miles of land in Finney County, Kansas. With a current population of approximately 30,000, the City continues to grow and prosper. The community is strengthened by a regional medical center, airport and a strong retail trade area. The opportunity to learn and the art of learning are central philosophies for our educational system. Private and public schools include 16 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, 2 fifth and sixth grade centers, a high school and a community college that offers diverse learning opportunities to all age and interest levels. The community passed a $97.5 million bond issue, and opened a new state-of-the-art high school in August 2012.
Agribusiness has long been the base of our economy and supports a multitude of related industries that have a worldwide impact. Because of the tremendous volume and wealth of agribusiness, manufacturers and marketers locate to the Garden City area to better serve this broad consumer base. Industries in and around Garden City offer products and support services such as water well technology, systematic irrigation, box fabrication, metal casting and fabrication, extrusion of plastics and many more. The Garden City area is also rich in natural resources and welcomes both traditional and renewable energy production. Economic diversity is key and a high quality of life abounds in Garden City as we serve the extended region with retail, services, education and healthcare.
St. Catherine Hospital is the regional health center for the Southwest Kansas region. This hospital, complete with the latest in medical technology and equipment has 24 hour emergency services, a Level II Newborn Intensive Care Unit, a Cardiac Rehabilitation Unit, a Cancer Treatment Center, a Multi-Specialty clinic, an Ambulatory Surgical Center, along with Telemedicine facilities. It serves as headquarters for over 50 physicians and 600 employees. Garden City offers three golf courses, one of which is Buffalo Dunes, ranked as one of the top 100 courses in the U.S. by Golf Digest and an 18-hole private golf course in Southwind. The community also offers the accredited Lee Richardson Zoo, the world’s largest municipal swimming pool, several beautiful parks located throughout the city and a number of special public events held throughout the year.
The City of Garden City was incorporated in 1883 and became a city of the first class in 1974. The City operates under a Commission-Manager form of government with commissioners having staggered terms. The five members of the City Commission are elected to overlapping four-year terms of office. An election for City Commissioners is held every odd-numbered year. The Mayor is elected to a one-year term by the Commissioners. The City Manager is appointed by the City Commission and is charged with the efficient and effective administration of the City.
The City of Garden City offers a competitive benefits package. Salary DOQ.
· Health Insurance: The City provides a full family medical package that includes medical, prescription and dental insurance. All employees pay a share of insurance premiums (wellness rates) through payroll deduction. Presently that share varies based on the contribution tier (see benefit summary).
· Grow Well Clinic and Wellness Program: Annual Grow Well benefits include a yearly health risk assessment, an individualized review of your assessment results with a registered nurse, access to the Grow Well Clinic, coaching for improved lifestyle management, lab rechecks and onsite wellness training if applicable.
· Retirement: The City participates in the Kansas Public Employees Retirement Program (KPERS).
· Deferred Compensation: In addition, the City offers deferred compensation programs to all employees on a voluntary basis for additional retirement savings.
· Life Insurance: The City provides life insurance plans through Advance and KPERS. Additional coverage may be purchased hrough KPERS .
· Holidays: 10 holidays are granted annually.
· Leave: Vacation leave is accrued at the rate off 12 days per year for 0-5 years, 16 days per year for 6-10 years, 18 days per year for 11-15 years and 22 days per year for 16+ years. Personal leave of 2 days per year, with 3 personal days allotted after 5 years of service. Sick leave is also an available benefit.
· Professional Development: The City Manager is committed to providing employees with exceptional training opportunities including regular attendance at State and National professional conferences within their relevant disciplines.
THE CITY OF GARDEN CITY IS PROUD TO BE AN EEO EMPLOYER
If you have any questions about employment with City of Garden City other than job openings, which are listed through this site, please contact:
Human Resource Director
City of Garden City
PO Box 499
301 N. 8th Street
Garden City, KS 67846
(620) 271-1409 (Fax)