To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Ottawa
Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Salary: $18.10 Hourly
Position Title: Human Resources Assistant
The position is responsible for coordination of the City of Ottawa benefits/wellness program, new hire orientation, drug testing, and performance management system, various steps of the recruitment process and assists the Human Resources Director with all other HR processes/programs. The City of Ottawa offers a pay competitive benefits package.
How to Apply: Complete On-Line Application at www.HRePartners.com.
Range: Grade 10 - $18.40 to $26.68.
Date Opened: August 25, 2017
Date Closed: October , 2017
Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
E-Mail Confirmation: After your application has been received by the City of Ottawa, you will receive confirmation by e-mail. Please check your SPAM filter or JUNK Mail. If you have not received information within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call 785-229-3634 to verify application has been received. For additional information, contact Human Resources at 785-229-3634 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Ottawa conducts background checks and drug screening on all potential candidates.
Anyone with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3634 at least two days prior to a scheduled test or interview.
The City of Ottawa is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The City of Ottawa is a nationally recognized Playful City USA community.
Job Title Human Resources Assistant
Department Human Resources
Reports To Human Resources Director/Risk Manager
FLSA Status Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
Salary Grade 10
Last Update August 2017
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
The Human Resources Assistant provides administrative support for the Human Resources Department. The position is responsible for coordination of the City of Ottawa benefits/wellness program, new hire orientation, drug testing, and performance management system, various steps of the recruitment process and assists the Human Resources Director with all other HR processes/programs..
Essential Job Functions
- Answers telephone and receives general public; provides information regarding job openings, explanation of employee benefits, Directs callers and walk-in traffic to appropriate City department or source of assistance.
- Maintains employee files, office records, inventory of office supplies and equipment. Responsible for purchase orders, requisitions and travel arrangements. Handles confidential records, correspondence and/or reports.
- Assist HR Director with the recruitment process: create job postings/advertisements, coordinate interviews, prepare interview packets for panels, order background checks, schedule drug/alcohol and physical testing, and contacts references.
- Conducts new hire orientations that include an extensive explanation of City Policies and procedures, employee benefits, payroll procedures, training videos, completion of new hire paperwork and other relevant processes.
- Preparation of all payroll, employee or benefit change forms for payroll to include recordkeeping and preparation of periodic reports. Updates Tyler systems with any changes.
- Responsible for benefit administration to include the City Wellness program and assists with the coordination of year end open enrollment. Helps employees with benefits enrollments: ensures forms are completed and returned in a timely manner, responds to employee inquiries, maintain necessary records, assist in preparing reports, and implement plan changes.
- Assists in the administration of the performance management system.
- Assist with the coordination of the Workers’ Compensation program to include initial appointment scheduling, reporting and correspondence with the claims adjuster.
- Participates in the Safety Committee meetings and works directly with Kansas Municipal Utilities Safety Officer on coordination of training and scheduling meeting locations. Distributing agenda and packet information for the Safety Committee and coordinates the monthly meeting with the departments. Maintains City/KMU Safety files.
- Responsible for the coordination of the drug testing programs.
- May assist HR Director with creation and maintenance of property records for City-owned buildings and vehicles for insurance purposes. May perform tracking from purchase to sale.
- Assists with the administration of annual employee recognition program.
- Ensure all Human Resources information is accurately communicated to City employees.
- Coordinates and makes all preparation for all HR related meetings and training.
- Attends and/or volunteers with the local SHRM chapter meetings to attain further HR knowledge.
- Participates in continuing education for the Human Resources field.
- Comply with all City ordinances and policies, as well as federal and state laws and ordinances.
- Assist other departments and perform other related duties as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, related field and/or an equivalent professional experience is preferred.
- Minimum of three years of working in a deadline oriented human resources department or administrative experience; some public sector experience preferred.
- Must maintain a valid Kansas driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those commonly associated with this position.
- Knowledge of human resources practices, employment laws and systems.
- Knowledge of HRIS software, Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader.
- Working knowledge of mathematics, statistics and financial systems.
- Strong ability to analyze, identify and recommend solutions to problems.
- Skill in assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands.
- Ability to work with complex systems with accuracy.
- Ability to independently prepare, compile, analyze, and interpret a variety of fiscal, statistical, and administrative reports/correspondence.
- Ability to clearly explain information, concepts and instructions to others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent public relations and customer service skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees, City officials, business entities, and the general public.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under general supervision and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- General office conditions and moderate noise levels.
Physical Abilities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to talk, hear, grasp, stand, walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, and crouch.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement and manual dexterity.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, clarity of vision, and ability to identify/distinguish colors.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
8/25/2017 12:00:00 AM
10/8/2017 11:59:59 PM