To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: City of Manhattan
Division: City Manager's Office
Job Title: COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
Salary: $52416.00 Annually
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
Salary Range: $52,416.00 - $83,179.20 DOQ (Regular Full-Time Exempt) Open Until Filled
To apply, please complete the online application and upload a letter of application, resume with references and official transcripts. Only qualified candidates should apply.
The Community Engagement Coordinator contributes to the overall mission of the City in the strategic development and implementation of external and internal City communications and marketing including public relations, publications, cable television, and other public relations activities. Provides and coordinates communication activities on a broad range of programs, services, issues, and policies on a day-to-day basis. Provides and conducts activities that support communication to citizens, media, employees, and other agencies.
- Considerable knowledge and skill to assume primary responsibility for design, development and content management of the City’s web pages including statistical reporting. (Daily)
- Design, develop, and maintain social media sites including statistical reporting. (Daily)
- Ability to set measurable goals and evaluate successes and failures for digital communication and community outreach via city web pages, social media, and other platforms. (Daily)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders, government officials, and media representatives. (Daily)
- Ability to works directly with City departments and other internal Communications and Marketing Staff to create engaging, shareable content and build online engagement/presence. (Daily)
- Ability to help craft community engagement plans and help further develop the City’s brand via strategic communications and marketing. (Daily)
- Ability to write press releases based upon feedback from City Administration during emergency events or planned projects/city events. (Occasionally)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in working with the general public, and staff; write, produce, and appropriately distribute communications materials. (Daily)
- Excellent interpersonal skills to portray professional and courteous service with City Officials, City Commissioners, Advisory Boards and Committee members, City employees, and the general public. (Daily)
- Ability to manage multiple projects requiring a high level of initiative, to meet deadlines, and to use independent judgment. (Daily)
- Excellent proficiency in operations of high end computer software, desktop publishing software, Microsoft Office Suites, Microsoft Office Suites for MAC, Adobe Creative Suite, web design and web maintenance software. (Daily)
- Ability to provide input for planning of communications and outreach budgets. (Daily)
- High level technical skills to provide the day-to-day communications activities, i.e., cable operations for Channel 3 programming, web site content and training assistance, brochure development, assisting with newsletters, advertising, promotional programs, and publication reports. (Daily)
- Valid Class C Kansas driver’s license. (Daily)
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Community Engagement Coordinator reports to the Assistant City Manager who reports to the City Manager.
The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day digital communications and community engagement activities, and contributes to the overall mission of the City of Manhattan. Assignments and projects are carried out under the supervision of the Assistant City Manager and work is reviewed through conferences, reports and results.
The City of Manhattan utilizes the Commission-Manager form of government. Each City Commissioner is elected for a term of two or four years—terms are staggered. The Mayor is selected by the Commissioners. The City Manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Governing Body under the stipulations of a mutually accepted contract.
The City of Manhattan, located in both Riley and Pottawatomie Counties, has an estimated 2016 population of 54,893 persons and is the home to Kansas State University. The City offers a full range of municipal services. The City is involved in providing cooperative services with surrounding communities and other units of government.
- Performs daily communications activities, i.e., website content management and user training assistance, cable operations for Channel 3, expanded programming, brochure development, internal employee communications via City intranet site, advertising, promotional programs, and publication reports, ensuring timely completion.
- Serves as the administrator for the City’s social media sites, monitors and collaborates with other division’s social media accounts (including maintaining completed Social Media Request forms and ensuring compliance with the City’s Social Media Policy) and respective websites, pages, and appropriate links.
- Monitors content, updates information, and provides training for the City’s web site and cable Channel 3 users. Works with website provider on updates for CivicHR (Human Resource) portions of website.
- Possesses good public relations skills and assists in providing timely and accurate responses based on sound judgment to online and community requests.
- Serves as administrator for the City’s service request/citizen engagement mobile app and City’s internal “Intranet” communication site by providing technical assistance to users and monitoring user responses. Provides data on system usage via regular reporting.
- Assist City Management office in bi-weekly creation of City Insider Newsletter on organizational activities and also creation/upkeep of internal employee communications via City Intranet site. Develops branding/engagement campaigns around special projects/ballot initiatives in the community.
- Develops and distributes information as needed via press releases, website, cable Channel 3, email programs, social media site, City intranet, brochures, publications and reports. Assists other City Departments as needed in distribution of their relevant information.
- Exhibits creativity and sound judgment in all actions and when working with internal/external customers. Strive to consistently improve the quality of image and reputation of the City via various communication outlets.
- Provides assistance, communications, and information to numerous State, County, and City Departments, and citizens, in conducting the affairs of the City Manager’s Office.
- Performs special projects and duties, as assigned by the Assistant City Manager.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in mass communications, journalism, public relations, public administration, business, or related field. At least three years of responsible experience in public relations, journalism, business or related field. Considerable knowledge of computer information systems, desktop publishing software, Adobe Creative Suite, social media, email marketing software, Microsoft Office Suites for MAC. Web design and web maintenance software experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Excellent communication skills and publications techniques and practices, including electronic communications are essential. Requires excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to deal courteously and effectively with staff, public and media. Knowledge of computer operations, web media relations practices, organization, and sound writing skills. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions of a highly technical or complex nature. Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment, a valid Driver’s License.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
Ability to operate at a high workload level
Ability to cope with stress brought on by dealing with potentially irate and/or defensive members of the public
Ability to exercise independent thinking
Ability to lift objects up to 20 pounds on a regular basis
Ability to speak to or in front of large crowds or on broadcasts
Ability to exercise problem-solving abilities when dealing with unusual situations requiring the ability to think on one’s feet
Ability to utilize creativity and writing ability on a daily basis
Need color vision when coordinating printing of publications
Works under general direction. Ability to work independently, organize own work with very little supervision.
8/25/2017 12:00:00 AM