To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Division: Health Services
Job Title: Registered Dietician
Salary: $38248.11 Annually
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Usual working days/hours:
Monday - Friday | 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Location of work:
1749 S. Martinson | Wichita, KS
This is a professional staff position providing direct services to participants in the WIC program. The dietitians provide nutrition education, community referrals, breastfeeding education and support. They are responsible for determining the client’s program eligibility based on nutritional/medical risk and assignment of the appropriate supplemental food package for qualifying women, infants and children. The registered dietitians in WIC provide the follow-up education for clients found with risks which are assigned a high priority per program protocols.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs customer service supporting program protocols.
- Provides appropriate education for clients. Makes appropriate referrals for clients.
- Documentation supports findings and program protocols.
- Contributes to the success of the local program;
- Applying policies/procedures appropriately
- Reporting success
- Support and educates clients on breastfeeding
- Provides WIC outreach to assist in keeping the assigned caseload at an appropriate level Assigns special formula using correct procedures
- Supports Mission of the Health Department Assists in the planning, development and evaluation of the programs Nutrition Services Plan.
- Has good organizational skills, uses critical thinking processes in daily work.
- Excellent attendance and punctuality, shows multicultural respect and is able to build rapport with those she comes in contact with.
- Submits paperwork in timely manner In some instances it may be necessary for bilingual staff to interpret or provide written translation.
- Staff at SCHD who speak a language other than English and also dialogue with clients in that language will take either a fluency test or a medical interpreter skills test given by Language Line over the phone.
- Language Line provides a detailed report of the test results which includes ways to improve. SCHD pays for each test. - If a staff member passes the test, that person can continue to dialogue with clients who speak Spanish or Vietnamese. - If a staff member does not pass the test, that person will be offered additional training and can take the Language Line test a second time when they are ready. - If the staff member does not pass the second time, that person cannot dialogue with clients in Spanish or Vietnamese but will continue to work at SCHD. The staff member can retake the test a third time after one year has passed from the time of the second test. Employee is interested in further development and maintains licensing requirements.
- Assists in orientation and training of new staff Knowledgeable of published County values and understand their significance to the organization.
- Proof of vaccination against certain diseases within 10 days of employment. Participation in TB screening program that includes baseline screening for M. Tuberculosis infection within 10 days of employment. Participation in Blood borne Pathogen Exposure Control Plan that includes training, proof of Hepatitis B immunity or vaccine, or vaccine taken within 10 days of employment. Will respond to a public health emergency or disaster situation as directed by supervisor.
- Completed ICS 100 and 700 (Incident Command System) training within 30 days of employment with results provided to designated Public Health emergency Management staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Foods, Nutrition or related Science and completes a dietetic route accredited by the American Dietetic Association.
- Licensed dietitian in the State of Kansas is required.
- Registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration is encouraged.
- Successfully passes the registration examination within twelve months of employment if not yet registered by the American Dietetic Association.
- Experience in women health and pediatrics preferred.
- Computer knowledge and typing skills needed.
- KBI background check.
- Must possess valid Kansas Driver’s license appropriate to the vehicle operated.
- Must maintain in-force personal Vehicle Insurance if operating a POV while conducting authorized county business.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Ability to work with participants of different socio-economic backgrounds, cultures, lifestyles, values and languages.
- Utilizes the Customer Service Guiding Principles.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the public, with co-workers and supervisors.
- Uses County, Health Department, and State and Local WIC policies and procedures to make sound decisions and solve problems with little supervision.
- Works as an integral member of the site team, including maintaining WIC productivity standards.
- Correctly organizes tasks and set priorities to meet deadlines.
- Competent computer skills. Maintain current knowledge of KWIC software application.
- Able to express themselves clearly in written and oral communications and has excellent interpersonal skills.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of WIC program policies, procedures and regulations.
- Follows client confidentiality and County HIPAA standards.
- Shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safely of other individuals in the workplace.
- Maintains current knowledge of childhood immunization schedules.
- Provides outreach activities.
- Acts as a role model to staff in areas such as loyalty, integrity, appearance and work habits.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and good judgment in managing crisis situations.
- Able to complete other duties as assigned.
- Background checks
- Motor Vehicle check
- Pre-employment drug test
Copier, fax, computer, telephone
- Clinic setting
- Ability to sit at computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds may be necessary at times.
9/1/2017 12:00:00 AM
10/15/2017 11:59:59 PM