To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of McPherson
Job Title: Temporary Cemetery Laborer
Salary: $8.00 Hourly
Applicants should apply on HRePartners website by choosing the "Create an Account" button (or "Log In" buttong if you already have an account) OR Send a resume and cover letter to the City Clerk/HR Officer at email@example.com
Temporary Cemetery Laborer
City of McPherson Cemetery Department
Under the supervision of the Cemetery Sexton, the Temporary Cemetery Laborer is a non-exempt position under FLSA. This position primary function is to assists with the maintenance of city cemetery. This position is classified as temporary meaning that the employee in this position works irregular hours and/or on a non-permanent basis. This position is not guaranteed a set amount of working hours and is scheduled based upon the department needs as identified by the Cemetery Sexton. This position is not eligible for KPERS Retirement Benefits or other city benefits.
- Operates department equipment, including trucks, mowers, string trimmer and various hand tools;
- Assists with the repairs and maintenance of Cemetery equipment;
- Performs mowing, string trims around markers, shrubs and trees;
- Performs watering of plants and trees;
- Performs landscaping, tree trimming and assists in tree limb chipping;
- Performs janitorial duties in cemetery buildings;
- Assists with maintenance of cemetery buildings and grounds;
- Assists with washing and moving of park benches;
- Follows department policies and procedures;
- Follows safety procedures and practices.
- Assists with Memorial Day activities as needed;
- Assists with grave preparation, both opening and closing;
- Assists with leveling of grave spaces;
- Assists with locating graves for the public;
- Assists other departments as needed;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
TEMPORARY CEMETERY LABORER
Experience: Employee is expected to be able to follow instructions and perform the job to the satisfaction of their supervisor. Employee is expected to possess the necessary information and skills to perform the job assigned them.
Education: A high school diploma or G.E.D. is desired. A valid Kansas Drivers License (KDL) and have and maintain a good driving record is required for this position.
Technical Skills: A working knowledge of department equipment, maintenance and repairs and grounds keeping is desired. This employee must be able to operate mowers, hand tools, power tools, weed eaters, trucks, chain saws, and other department equipment. This employee must possess an effective public relation, oral and written communication skills. This employee must have a working knowledge of citywide and cemetery department policies.
Problem Solving: Limited independent problem solving is involved in this position.
Decision Making: Limited independent decision-making is involved in this position. This employee makes decisions about performing necessary repairs, and performing daily duties in the safest and most efficient manner.
Supervision: This employee works with occasional supervision from full-time employees.
Financial Accountability: This employee is responsible for the safe operation of department equipment. This employee does have the authority to purchase necessary supplies. This employee does not participate in the annual budget process.
Personal Relations: Daily contact with the general public, co-workers, and supervisory personnel is expected.
Working Conditions: Some adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to blood borne pathogens, hazardous chemicals, heavy equipment, excessive noise, work in confined spaces, heights, and all types of weather conditions is expected.
Physical Requirements: Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling, extensive walking, and the ability to operate departmental equipment is required daily in this position.
***The specific statements shown in this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
9/6/2017 12:00:00 AM