To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Bel Aire
Job Title: Equipment Operator I
Class Title: Public Works/Parks Equipment Operator I
Department: Public Works
Salary Schedule: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Range: Step 1($14.67) – Step 13($20.72)
- This position performs operational duties of vehicles and specialized equipment used in construction and maintenance activities in the Public Works Department. Primarily involved in the operation of equipment in association with the Water, Sewer, Street, and Parks division.
- Works under the general supervision of the Utility and Street Supervisor and the Assistant Public Works Director.
- Occasional supervision of seasonal employees may be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs manual work and operates department vehicles, powered equipment, mowers, tractors and other mechanical equipment used in departmental projects.
- Performs storm sewer, water, wastewater, street, and parks maintenance.
- Assumes on-call status on a rotating schedule and is subject to call-out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Must live within 30 minutes legal drive time to the Public Works Department (4103 N. Woodlawn, Bel Aire, KS 67220) or move within said distance within 60 days of hire.
- Assists with the maintenance and repairs to all public facilities and equipment.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum 1-year experience in the operation of automotive or specialized equipment used in the construction or maintenance activities within public works and/or parks department.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled in the operation of tools, machinery, and equipment used in essential or peripheral duties as listed above.
- Ability to operate equipment including utility trucks, bobcat, backhoe, snow plow, materials spreaders, sewer equipment and other types of machinery required.
- Working knowledge of traffic regulations.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Able to make decisions and problem solving, working in collaborative groups and independently.
- Works well with other employees, staff, and the public.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must possess a valid Kansas Driver’s License with the ability to obtain a Class ‘B’ CDL with air brake endorsement within 6 months of hire.
- Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects, bending, kneeling and climbing are required daily to fulfill the duties of this position.
- Some adverse working conditions exist with this position. Exposure to hazardous chemicals, hazardous materials, heavy machinery, traffic, excessive noise and heights in all types of weather conditions can be expected.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, run, drive, push, pull, carry, see, hear, speak, crawl, use hands, climb, kneel, smell and other similar types of functions.
- The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move more than 110 pounds and frequently lift 25 pounds.
- Must pass post-offer drug screen and physical prior to beginning employment.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Most work will be performed outdoors in various types of conditions. Use of safety equipment and the following of safety protocol is required.
- The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
9/19/2017 12:00:00 AM