To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Butler County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Sign Technician
Salary: $16.22 Hourly
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the Road Supervisor, the Sign Technician makes, repairs and installs signs within Butler County. In addition to safely and efficiently operating vehicles, the Sign Technician performs routine manual work.
Examples of Work (Essential Functions):
- Sets out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic, flag motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead, performs work according to work zone safety guidelines;
- Operates equipment while paying close attention to public traffic, conditions, drivers;
- Installs and repairs traffic signs, signals, barricades, close roads when appropriate;
- Researches types of signs to use in different situations according to the Uniform Traffic Manual;
- Performs minor vehicle maintenance; cleans or lubricates vehicles, machinery, equipment, instrument, tools, work areas, and other objects, using hand tools, power tools, and cleaning equipment;
- Follows safety rules;
- Loads materials and performs work related manual tasks as required;
- Performs unskilled manual work as assigned;
- Uses tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, chainsaws, drills, weed eaters, wrenches, shovels and rakes;
- Cleans or lubricates vehicles, machinery, equipment, instruments, tools, work areas, and other objects, using hand tools, power tools, and cleaning equipment;
- Performs light maintenance and servicing of work in connection with the operations of related equipment, performs daily inspection of equipment;
- Makes signs and conducts a sign inventory in-house (placards, lettering, posts);
- Responds to emergencies where signage is displaced or damaged, and new signs need installed;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Examples of Work (Marginal Functions):
- Performs bridge maintenance work such as mowing road ditches, installing and maintaining culverts and filling washouts and installing guardrail, cutting brush, tree trimming and removing debris;
- Performs snow and ice removal operations;
- Performs unskilled manual work as assigned;
- Rebuilds roads and bridges;
- Spreads dirt, cover, gravel, sand, rock and asphalt, haul material and supplies to job sites.
Certificate, License: Valid commercial driver's license. Subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Required Education and/or Experience: Two years related experience, High School Diploma or G.E.D.; or Associate’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position. Experience as an equipment operator in Road and Bridge.
Preferred Education and/or Experience: Three years related experience, High School Diploma or G.E.D.; or Associate’s degree and one year experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abilities, Knowledge, Skills:
- Ability to operate a truck, tandem-axle truck, loader and other related equipment;
- Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties;
- Ability to use computers, databases, GPS to track and inventory signs;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence;
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization;
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume;
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form;
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations;
- Ability to convey and receive detailed or important instructions and information to and from other workers and the general public;
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance;
- Knowledge of county roads and geography;
- Knowledge of the manual on uniform traffic control devices (MUTCD);
- Knowledge of safety operations or equipment.
Problem Solving: Limited problem solving exists in this position.
Decision Making: Limited decision making exists in this position.
Accountability: Employee is not responsible for budgetary control of the department and does not participate in the annual department budget process.
Supervision: Supervision is provided and job related decisions are reviewed by the Road Supervisor. Employee does not have supervisory responsibility over subordinate personnel.
Personal Relationships: Occasional contact with other county departments and frequent contact with the general public.
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
10/6/2017 12:00:00 AM
10/20/2017 11:59:59 PM