To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Ottawa
Division: Electric Production
Job Title: Electric Production Operator I
Salary: $18.40 Hourly
Position Title: Electric Production Operator I
The City of Ottawa, Kansas is recruiting for an Electric Production Operator I. The employee in this position is responsible for maintaining continuous and stable operation of the generators in the plant while monitoring the City's connections with other electric utility systems and delivering the necessary electrical power to the City of Ottawa’s customers.
How to Apply: Complete On-Line Application at www.HRePartners.com.
Range: Grade 10 - $18.40 to $26.68
Date Opened: October 9, 2017
Date Closed: November 4, 2017
Hours: Rotating shift.
The City of Ottawa offers a competitive pay and benefits package.
E-Mail Confirmation: After your application has been received by the City of Ottawa, you will receive confirmation by e-mail. Please check your SPAM filter or JUNK Mail. If you have not received information within 48 hours of submitting your application, please call 785-229-3634 to verify application has been received. For additional information, contact Human Resources at 785-229-3634 or e-mail email@example.com.
The City of Ottawa conducts background checks and drug screening on all potential candidates.
Anyone with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at 785-229-3634 at least two days prior to a scheduled test or interview.
The City of Ottawa is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The City of Ottawa is a nationally recognized Playful City USA community.
Job Title Electric Production Operator I
Department Utilities/Electric Production
Reports To Electric Production Superintendent
FLSA Status Non-Exempt (eligible for overtime pay)
Salary Grade 10
OSHA Electric Power Transmission, Generation, and Distribution
Last Update October 2017
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
The Electric Production Operator I performs duties in the City's electric generation and purchasing of power. The employee in this position is responsible for maintaining continuous and stable operation of the generators in the plant while monitoring the City's connections with other electric utility systems and delivering the necessary electrical power to the City of Ottawa’s customers. The Electric Production Operator I will monitor equipment operations for possible malfunctions and take corrective action should a malfunction occur.
- Record hourly load and voltage, as well as engine and compressor temperatures, liquid levels, and pressures.
- Operate various types of vehicles, including but not limited to trucks, tractors, mowers, dump trucks, backhoes, trenchers, and bucket trucks.
- Patrol building and grounds to check for water/oil leaks. Monitor gauges, meters, and dials on power plant equipment.
- Operate switchboards to control production and distribution voltage.
- Start and stop engines, motors, generators, and boilers. Perform mechanical work and engine overhauls.
- Utilize hand/power tools effectively to perform repairs on large and small equipment/machinery.
- Perform routine maintenance, including but not limited to greasing machines, changing oil and fuel filters, cleaning air screens, etc.
- Prepare and verify daily paperwork and make schedules for loads.
- Cleaning and maintenance of all Electric Production facilities and grounds.
- Comply with all City ordinances and practices.
- Assist other departments and perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience – An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree or some college credit in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of one year of electric production operation and mechanical experience preferred.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those commonly associated with this position.
- Above average knowledge of electric production operations, safety procedures, equipment operation/maintenance, mathematics, and chemical usage.
- Ability to operate generators, cooling towers, pumps, and related equipment at their most efficient rate.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction materials, schematics, welding techniques, and electricity.
- Ability to operate a personal computer and office software used in recording and verifying data.
- Ability to read and understand system blueprints and equipment schematics.
- Knowledge of the safe and effective use of hand tools for equipment repair.
- Ability to operate various types of vehicles.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating and extended shifts is a must.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships with other employees, City officials, businesses, and the public.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under general supervision and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- May be required to work in confined spaces, hazardous traffic conditions, or high/dangerous places.
- May be exposed to wet/humid conditions, inclement outdoor weather, vibration, extreme temperatures, mechanical oils, airborne particles/fumes, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents/chemicals, or loud noise levels.
- May be required to wear a respirator in certain situations.
Physical Abilities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must be able to sit, talk, hear, feel attributes of objects, grasp, push, stand, walk, drive, reach with hands/arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, balance, operate mechanical equipment, and move up and down from/to sitting position on the floor.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement and manual dexterity.
- Must have clarity of vision, ability to identify/distinguish colors and precise hand-eye coordination.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
10/9/2017 12:00:00 AM
11/4/2017 11:59:59 PM