To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: WSU Tech
Division: Career & Tech Ed/Aviation
Job Title: Part Time Instructor (Adjunct Faculty) AVC/Aerostructures
A part-time adjunct instructor works for the college on a part-time basis teaching one or multiple courses during a given semester. However, future courses are not assured. As with all Faculty, the
primary responsibility of an Adjunct Instructor is to provide the coordination, planning, preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction and related activities. The instructor is responsible for performing assigned duties during the day, evening, or weekend on any Wichita Area Technical College campus/off-campus locations as assigned. At a minimum, the related activities include instruction, instructional counseling, recruiting and all duties as directed by the Program Director, Associate Dean, Dean, Vice President of Academic Affairs, or the President.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Files an appropriate course syllabus for each course taught within the course shell of the appropriate Learning Management System.
- Ensures that each program/class contains essential curricular components, has appropriate content and pedagogy, and maintains currency.
- Maintains a high level of expertise in the subjects taught and stimulates enthusiasm for those subjects.
- Recommends textbooks and other instructional materials including classroom and laboratory equipment to Dean/Director.
- Makes suggestions to the department Dean/Director, concerning the improvement of the curriculum in keeping with the objectives of the college.
- Teaches all classes according to an approved course syllabus, ensuring that assigned classes are held as scheduled. Holds the final exam at the time scheduled unless permission to deviate has been approved by the department Dean/Director.
- Keeps students informed and updated concerning course content, requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements.
- Keeps students informed about their progress through the prompt grading of papers and other work. Submits Student Academic Reports (SARs) and other documentation when appropriate.
- Provides students with a final grade published in the Learning Management System within the timeframe allotted.
- Maintains accurate and complete scholastic records, including attendance records.
- Conducts class evaluations and completes other college evaluations and assessment in accordance with college policy.
- Participates in program and curriculum review and development and student learning outcomes initiatives.
- Makes use of available college online resources (Angel/Blackboard, Publish Grades, Policies/Procedures, Grade Book, Attendance, etc.).
- Plans each unit or lesson, both as to content and method, to make each class meaningful. Incorporates instructional technologies in instructional delivery.
- Organizes each course taught into an effective instrument of learning.
- Studies and utilizes students’ learning styles in each class in order to facilitate the best teaching and learning situations. Maximizes the learning opportunities for each student.
- Facilitates student recruitment and retention activities including but not limited to high school visits and college activities, such as Open House, Program Information Sessions, and tours.
- Strives for the qualities delineated in the criteria for faculty evaluation used by the college.
- Refers students to counselor as needed.
- Submits required reports to the appropriate college personnel.
- Conveys college-related information to students in a timely manner as requested by college officials.
- Attends adjunct faculty meetings, college adjunct faculty in-services, professional development activities, and other meetings as called by the President, Vice President of Academic Affairs, or the Program Dean/Director.
- Assumes other work related responsibilities as assigned by the department Dean/Director.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
Associate Degree from a nationally or regionally accredited college (In exceptional cases, documented experience may be used for initial employment. Faculty must develop and pursue a professional development plan to include an Associate Degree). Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Four years or the equivalent of four years full-time work experience in the field.
Qualifications required for mandatory program accreditation.
Licensure or Certification for the program area.
- Teaching experience in adult education preferred.
- Must be available for required course assignments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – must be able to work with students, technical and administrative personnel in a pleasant, professional, and efficient manner.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability to use personal computer and software applications.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to accurately and quickly process, enter and audit data.
- Ability to effectively organize and direct personnel during crisis or emergency situations.
- Demonstrate ability and knowledge to provide team leadership for planning.
- Ability to pre-plan course work.
- Must complete new faculty orientation within one semester of start date.
Other Position Requirements:
- Works effectively and productively as a team member. Keeps others informed of information needed. Treats others with respect, maintaining a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains effective and professional verbal and written interactions with peers, customers, supervisors and other staff. Uses diplomacy and tact in dealing with difficult situations or people. Demonstrates effective listening skills. Is receptive to constructive feedback.
- Maintains acceptable overall attendance record, to include department meetings, all-employee meetings/trainings as required. Ensures appropriate notification to supervisor for absences, and ensure that work is covered. Is flexible in work schedule when needed.
- Produces quantity of work necessary to meet job requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to handle new assignments, changes in procedures and business requirements. Identifies what needs to be done and takes appropriate action.
- Completes assigned work; meets deadlines without reminders/follow-up from supervisor or others.
- Performs work conscientiously with a high degree of accuracy.
- Participates in a minimum of 20 hours professional development activities per year to remain current with industry trends and advancements.
Must be able to work in a multi-tasked, high-volume environment, completing multiple and competing priorities. Daily attendance is required to meet the needs of students and prospective students. Attendance is required at meetings and in-services some of which may be out of the area. Schedules may fluctuate to accommodate student or College needs, deadlines and delivery of services. Long periods of sitting and/or standing will be required. Data entry/typing is required. Sufficient vision and hearing are required to complete the work and interact with students, staff, faculty and the public. Independent travel by car or public carrier is required to enable flexibility to work at alternate campuses/locations when needed. Evening and weekend work may be required. Work schedule will be as needed and required by administration to accomplish assigned duties.
10/6/2017 12:00:00 AM