To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Wichita Area Technical College
Division: Gen Ed/Health Sciences
Job Title: Part Time Instructor (Adjunct Faculty) Surgical Technology Program
Adjunct pay is assigned by course load and is specific to credit hours taught and degree/credential of the instructor.
The adjunct faculty member will provide course instruction and assess student learning in his/her area of expertise to students. Instruction may include classroom lecture, hands on experience, and facilitating group discussions. Teaching assignments will include between 1-9 credit hours of courses in the field. Day, afternoon, evening, weekend, and/or on-line classes may be available.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Relates to students in a professional manner that demonstrates respect for the individual
- Reviews course content with administrator or designee prior to instruction
- Creates and provides students with a detailed syllabus which contains the elements specified on the College syllabus template
- Submits the syllabus/syllabi two weeks before the beginning of class to the Academic Success office
- Meets with class(es) on the scheduled dates for the full duration of class time
- Presents instruction in a manner consistent with lesson objectives and course outcomes
- Returns graded work in a timely and consistent manner
- Seeks student feedback to identify and meet student needs
- Answers student’s questions and provides feedback regarding student performance as schedule permits
- Evaluates learning in an ongoing effort to document student mastery of course objectives
- Performs paperwork related to the assignment, including completion of all required reports
- Maintains classroom environment that supports learning
- Turns in grades by the established due date and assist the registrar in maintaining an accurate record of class enrollment
- Maintains records of student achievement in the event of a grade appeal
- Meets with Program Lean and/or the Dean, Health Science if and as requested; and, maintains close communication regarding any classroom or learning issues that may arise.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Complies with hiring requirements of College.
- Obtains at own expense yearly TB test and other immunizations or physical examinations as required by clinical sites.
- Thorough knowledge of the proper safety and handling of materials used in the field.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook applications.
- Demonstrate ability and knowledge to work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of course content.
- Accept responsibility and fulfill commitments while promoting collaboration between day and evening program faculty.
Education and Experience:
- Current certification as a surgical technologist through national credentialing organization that is accredited by the National Commission on Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
- Minimum of 2 years current operating room experience as a surgical technologist.
- Current CPR instructor certification by the American Heart Association.
- Associate degree, required. Bachelor’s preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited surgical technology program and formally certified as a surgical technologist.
- Prior teaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrates basic word-processing knowledge.
- Possess current licensure/certification/registration as required by profession.
- Possible exposure to blood borne pathogens requiring hepatitis B vaccine or signed waiver.
- Demonstrates hearing and visual acuity consistent with performance of job requirements.
- Physical requirements including lifting, standing, bending, reaching, pulling, pushing, and repetitive movements required of respective occupation.
- Demonstrates finger and manual dexterity required of occupation.
Attendance required at regularly scheduled meetings and in-services, as well as at meetings that may be scheduled on an impromptu basis. Occasional travel between the College locations. Working hours may fluctuate based upon deadlines, projects being undertaken, and the types of services needing to be provided. Invest the necessary time in performing all tasks necessary in order to accomplish assigned work.
10/10/2017 12:00:00 AM