To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Wellington
Division: CITY CLERK DEPARTMENT
Job Title: ACCOUNTING CLERK
Under the supervision of the City Clerk/Finance Director, the Accounting Clerk position involves the performance of various financial accounting and clerical tasks in the City Clerk’s office. Responsibilities of this position include the accurate input of financial data and processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable for the City. Duties include the balancing of comprehensive financial ledgers and the preparation of necessary reports. The Accounting Clerk will assist customers and address public inquiries over the phone and in person. Work is subject to review by the City Clerk/Finance Director.
- Performs daily, monthly and annual basic financial recording and balancing functions and prepares necessary reports;
- Enters and processes accounts payable, accounts receivable, checks vendors statements against payments;
- Balances purchase orders with computer generated claims register;
- Balances ledgers monthly and annually and maintains balances, both revenues and expenditures, to match bank balances, clerk’s and treasurer’s balances;
- Calculates and prepares compensating use tax and sales tax reports as required;
- Maintains fuel inventories for city departments and prepares necessary reports;
- Prepares an accounts payable listing for review and approval by the governing body;
- Receives and receipts payments for various permits, licenses and services;
- Indexes and records various City official documents;
- Types correspondence and maintains files in the Clerk’s office;
- Performs and participates in the recording of annual inventory of parts and supplies for specific departments;
- Assists customers and responds to public inquiries both in person and over the telephone;
- Issues licenses, burial permits and sells cemetery lots;
- Participates in the general activities of the office where assigned.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned;
- Assists Utility Billing office when necessary;
- May cross-train in suitable positions in other City departments.
Experience: At least two years of accounting experience. Experience in clerical and customer service functions preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education/Licenses: High school diploma or GED equivalent. Some college hours and/or training in accounting functions preferred.
Technical Skills: Working knowledge of accounting procedures and principles. Proficiency in using computer software applications to include word processing, spreadsheets and databases. Ability to accurately perform data entry of information and efficiently operate computers, adding machines, photo copiers and related office machines. Strong documentation and organization skills. Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks; work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities. Knowledge of business correspondence, filing, typing and clerical procedures. Working knowledge of proper cash handling procedures and basic math calculations. Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with other persons and to communicate effectively and clearly using the English language, both orally and in writing.
Problem Solving: Moderate problem solving exists in this position. Typical problems involve locating and correcting errors in balancing accounting records.
Decision-Making: Limited decision making responsibilities exist in this position. Most tasks assigned are in accordance with standard procedures.
Supervision: Limited direct supervision provided relating to daily job functions. Work performance is reviewed for general procedures and accuracy by the City Clerk/Finance Director. Employee does not have supervisory responsibilities over personnel.
Financial Accountability: Employee is responsible for the proper recording and accounting of various financial transactions and records. Employee is accountable for the proper recording and collecting of payments and fees.
Personal Relations: Frequent contact with the general public and other City personnel.
Working Conditions: Adverse working conditions generally do not exist in this position. Work hours generally 8:00AM to 5:00PM with some overtime occasionally required.
Physical Requirements: To perform the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds; bend, stoop and kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Salary range is $14.04 to $21.51 DOQ with benefits. EOE, Drug free workplace.
10/12/2017 12:00:00 AM
10/25/2017 11:59:59 PM