To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Dickinson County
Job Title: AEMT
Salary: $0 Hourly
Under the supervision of the Dickinson County EMS Director, the AEMT provides highly skilled, specialized emergency medical care to sick and injured patients. The employee in this position responds to 911 calls, renders medical assistance and transports patients to the proper medical facility. This position is distinguishable from an EMT in that the position requires further training to perform specialized medical treatment and care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all countywide and departmental policies and procedures.
- Provide basic life support to the sick and injured and participates in patient assessment and/or treatment. Respond to 911 calls and provide emergency medical treatment. Transport patients to appropriate medical facility.
- Administer IV’s, medications and other Advanced Life Support Procedures per medical guidelines.
- Performance of the following tasks:
- Patient assessment and vital signs
- Airway maintenance to include the use of oropharyngeal airways and oxygen delivery devices
- Oxygen therapy
- Oropharyngeal suctioning
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedures
- Control accessible bleeding
- Fracture management procedures
- Monitor and/or initiate intravenous fluids
- Administer injections of medications
- Monitor and interpret patient’s ECG
- Respond to instructions from emergency dispatcher and drives specially equipped emergency vehicle to specified locations. Monitor communication equipment to maintain contact with dispatcher and other EMS personnel.
- Communicate with professional medical personnel at emergency treatment facility to obtain instructions regarding further treatment and to arrange for reception of patient at treatment facility.
- Read and comply with department personnel policy and procedure manuals.
- Interview patient, family members and bystanders and record all relevant information accurately on a patient care report.
- Complete all patient care reports, billing reports and incident reports by end of each shift.
- Provide written report to Director on all vehicle, station, radio or medical equipment problems or request for repair immediately.
- Exercise appropriate judgment based on knowledge, skills and understanding of the appropriate emergency medical care and adhere to the EMS standard of care and/or procedures.
- Inspect and maintain department equipment on a daily basis.
- Inspect and documents controlled substance items daily or as directed.
- Operate ambulance safely and in accordance with traffic laws and department policies.
- Maintain an inventory of station supplies and assist with the purchasing of supplies.
- Clean vehicle and equipment after each use.
- Maintain current knowledge of emergency medical techniques.
- Assist in developing and implementation of short and long term plans regarding medical standards.
- Assist with patient billing, prepare monthly reports and complete patient records and data forms.
- Participate in public awareness and training programs.
- Perform other related work as required.
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of departmental medical protocols.
- Knowledge of county/city maps.
- Knowledge of ECG interpretations and ability to trouble shoot heart monitors.
- Advanced airway procedures including intubations, EOA, and ventilator and ability to trouble shoot problems.
- Knowledge of all medical equipment on unit(s) and ability to trouble shoot.
- Ability to read, write and verbally communicate in person and via telecommunication devices.
- Demonstrate good judgment and remain calm during high stress situations.
- Read and understand manuals and road maps; accurately discern street signs and address numbers.
- Read and interpret written, oral and diagnostic form instructions. This includes the ability to read and interpret physician orders, medication labels and prescriptions.
- Knowledge of pre-hospital medical care and emergency vehicle operations.
- Knowledge of computers, emergency medical procedures, state and federal regulations and a working knowledge of equipment maintenance and mathematics.
- Ability to operate all departmental equipment and radios.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Proper knowledge of grammar and spelling.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using the English language.
- Skills in organization, mathematical processes, time management and a high degree of computer proficiency.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with others.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to make independent decisions, use good judgment, accept results and receive constructive feedback in an appropriate positive manner.
- Able and willing to work with others toward achieving common goals. Demonstrate understanding of the importance of teamwork. Display positive attitude and support county policies and communicate properly.
- Demonstrate initiative in execution of work, comprehend instructions without close supervision and volunteers to assist others, produces the expected volume of work.
- Execute work thoroughly, accurately and in an organized manner.
- Accept responsibility and complete work assignments on schedule, without undue delays and within other established parameters.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and arrives and leaves at the prescribed times.
- Dress and groom appropriately for the job.
- Keep work area neat and orderly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION
One to three years’ ambulance and emergency care experience is preferred.
High school diploma or GED is required.
Certification as an AEMT.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Current Kansas certification as an AEMT
Current AHA, American Red Cross or National Safety Council Healthcare Provider CPR Certification.
Annual recertification at Hazardous Materials awareness level is required.
HIPPA training and blood borne pathogen training is required annually.
Must have a valid Kansas driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The person in this position must have the ability to express or exchange ideas by means of verbal communications. Conveying or receiving detailed or important instructions to and from other workers and the general public. Vision must be adequate to perform essential functions such as physically assessing patients, identifying anatomical components such as veins and reading monitors. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English language. Hearing must be acute enough to perform essential functions such as blood pressure, lung sounds, physician directives, and telephone and radio communications. The person must be able to manipulate small and large objects.
10/30/2017 12:00:00 AM
12/22/2017 11:59:59 PM