To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Since this is a public safety position, you will be required to submit extra information as part of the application process.
Employer: Dickinson County
Job Title: Detention Officer
Salary: $12.36 Hourly
The Detention Officer I will take care of the needs of the inmates in the jail. The Detention Officer I records all activities of inmates. The employee in this position is responsible for recording all requests of inmates, medical problems, medications, etc. It is the responsibility of this employee to ensure that inmates are maintained in a humane manner and ensure that the inmates are granted their constitutional rights. Work also involves enforcing all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances as they pertain to correctional duties. Work in this position involves an element of personal danger. The employee in this position must be able to act without direct supervision and to exercise independent judgment in crisis situations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Comply with all countywide and departmental policies and procedures.
- Order meals for the inmates of the jail.
- Process inmates upon arrival and release from detention, finger print and photograph inmates, check accuracy of documentation such as fingerprints, record all activities of inmates including phone calls and medical records, check prisoners on an hourly basis, dispense commissary needs, clothing, and personal hygiene products.
- Prepare daily reports and enter reports into the computer.
- Conduct routine shakedowns, pat searches, and strip searches of inmates.
- Meets the public at the detention center and supervise visiting hours.
- Monitor medical status of prisoners, dispense medication, and notify physician of medical needs.
- Maintain the Jail (inside, outside, and yard), enforce all regulations of the detention facility.
- Transport prisoners to court, medical appointments, or other facilities, complete reports and records.
- Testify in court on related activities.
- Maintain commissary and money handled from the prisoners.
- Receive and answer complaints and requests from the general public.
- Perform general duties in the protection of life and property as they pertain to correctional duties
- Maintain mechanical equipment in the jail.
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, co-workers and management.
- Clean various areas of the kitchen and equipment such as pantry, floors, stove, etc.
- Transport meals for inmates.
- Assist with security of other facilities such as the Courthouse.
- Back up Sheriff Deputies when necessary.
- Transport juveniles in SRS custody.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of office policies and procedures, state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of law enforcement communication procedures, computer applications, and protocol.
- Knowledge of psychology, sociology, and/or criminal justice.
- Knowledge of law enforcement techniques, federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Ability to operate emergency vehicles, radios, fingerprinting equipment, video equipment, computers, and other related law enforcement equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of emergency medical procedures and the ability to communicate in emergency and stressful situations, provide clear and concise instructions, excellent listening skills, ability to calm down the person, obtain valuable information, and provide information.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Proper knowledge of grammar and spelling.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing using the English language.
- Skills in organization, mathematical processes, time management and a high degree of computer proficiency.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact well with others.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Able to make independent decisions, use good judgment, accept results and receive constructive feedback in an appropriate positive manner.
- Able and willing to work with others toward achieving common goals. Demonstrate understanding of the importance of teamwork. Display positive attitude and support county policies and communicate properly.
- Demonstrate initiative in execution of work, comprehend instructions without close supervision and volunteers to assist others, produces the expected volume of work.
- Execute work thoroughly, accurately and in an organized manner.
- Accept responsibility and complete work assignments on schedule, without undue delays and within other established parameters.
- Maintain acceptable attendance and arrives and leaves at the prescribed times.
- Dress and groom appropriately for the job.
- Keep work area neat and orderly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION
One to two years related experience and/or training, or high school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be 18 years old.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Kansas Driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk or hear. The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and taste or smell. The employee is required to climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
10/31/2017 12:00:00 AM