To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Sedgwick County
Division: County Manager
Job Title: Public Information Officer
Salary: $51253.31 Annually
Veterans' Preference is available for this vacancy.
To receive Veterans' Preference, you must supply a copy of your DD214 to the Human Resources department at Sedgwick County after applying.
Usual working days/hours:
Monday - Friday; 8am - 5pm
Location of work:
Responsible for the management of Sedgwick County’s strategic communications initiatives to meet the evolving needs of the County Manager, Board of County Commissioners and County Residents. Develops communication plans and implements a broad range of proactive media and community relations, promoting Sedgwick County branding, awareness of services and confidence in Sedgwick County Government.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serve as the point of contact for any external stakeholders seeking or receiving information about County government policies, services or events.
- Develop a proactive media relations strategy to obtain coverage of County news, efforts, and events.
- Serve as a liaison between media and the nonelected departments within the organization. Maintain information press files.
- Respond to print and broadcast inquiries and requests for information about County departments/ agencies.
- Work with staff to effectively deal with the public and the media and accompany staff to media interviews when requested. Assist elected and non-elected officials with development and publication of materials to stakeholders, media relations, and promote a positive County image.
- Gather information, write, and distribute Commissioner newsletters.
- Work with the Commissioners and County Manager to achieve county goals and objectives by administering the Public Information Office and Corporate Communications plan.
- Develop story or content ideas; edit and rewrite material; correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax to improve readability; recommend changes in content, style organization, and appropriateness. Oversees various complicated, difficult and politically sensitive projects, and establishes methods, plans and coordinates meetings for involving stakeholders.
- Implement the Public Information Office and Corporate Communications plan to advance and broaden the awareness of Sedgwick County’s programs and priorities.
- Coordinate and/ or assist in coordination of public relations activities such as public appearances, speaking engagements, and special events.
- Bachelor's degree is required (Master's degree preferred) from the following fields of study: Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in public relations, journalism or performing the communications function for an organization.
- Strong communication and presentation skills are required or any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Video production skills preferred but not required.
- Standard office equipment including phones, fax machines.
- Software used includes Microsoft products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), and Adobe products.
- Office environment. S
- ome exposure to weather, etc. due to the necessity to travel to County events and facilities.
- Lifting up to 20 pounds of equipment on occasion.
*This position may be filled or closed to further application without notice. Must be at least 18 years of age to work for Sedgwick County*
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Crissy Magee, Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator by phone (316) 660-7056, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777), or email at email@example.com
. Do not send resumes or application status request or employment questions to this email or phone number. This information is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. Applications must be submitted on www.hrepartners.com. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.
Sedgwick County will prohibit the hiring of spouses and/or immediate family members within the same department, but not within the County structure.
Immediate family and family of the employee’s spouse shall be considered husband, wife, son, step-son, son-in-law, daughter, step-daughter, daughter-in law, brother, step-brother, brother-in law, sister, step-sister, sister-in-law, mother, step-mother, mother-in law, father, step-father, father-in-law, grandchildren, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
11/17/2017 12:00:00 AM
12/17/2017 11:59:59 PM