To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Butler County
Division: Emergency Medical Services
Job Title: Paramedic
Salary: $0 Hourly
Open until filled
Full-time and part-time positions available
Under the supervision of the Operations Captain, the Paramedic provides advanced life support emergency care to sick and injured patients. The employee in this position responds to 911 calls, renders medical assistance and transports patients to the proper medical facility. This position is distinguishable from an EMT in that the position requires further initial education, additional specialized training, greater responsibility for patient care/outcome, and greater amount of annual continuing education.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Regularly acts as a servant to the public, assists citizens in need, and communicates with all citizens, patients, family members, government employees, fellow emergency responders, and health care providers in a calm, courteous and respectful manner;
- Responds to 911 calls and provides emergency medical treatment & transport;
- Assists patients, family members, & others confidentially & with concern & empathy;
- Competently delivers advanced life support (ALS) care including medication administration, narcotic administration, ECG application/interpretation, invasive procedures, IV/IO, intubation, advanced airway care, thoracostomy, ventilator management, and various other pre-hospital critical care procedures;
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of departmental medical guidelines, operational protocols, as well as city and county geography, mapping & routing;
- Operates emergency vehicles safely and professionally;
- Operates, and can troubleshoot, all pre-hospital medical care equipment;
- Performs daily vehicle, equipment, and station inventory/maintenance;
- Readies all medical equipment for use each day, and following each response, restocks all equipment and supplies, as well as troubleshoot equipment problems and reports needed maintenance to EMS administrators;
- Uses department computers and accurately completes all patient care reports, billing reports and incident reports by the end of each shift;
- Operates all two-way radio communication equipment and troubleshoots problems;
- Inspects and documents controlled substances daily or as directed;
- Able to adapt and react to rapidly changing conditions and situations appropriately & able to cope with high stress high impact working conditions;
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Experience: One to three years EMS and emergency care experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have the acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well after six months in the position.
Education: High school diploma or GED is required. A current & valid Kansas Driver’s License is required. Kansas Paramedic certification now requires an Associates degree. Completion of minimum 1200 hour initial Paramedic/EMT-P course of instruction is required. Current Kansas certification as a Paramedic required. Hazardous materials certification at the “Awareness” level is required. Kansas Paramedic certification requires a minimum of 30 hours per year for recertification. Yearly recertification in hazardous materials, bloodborne pathogens, emergency vehicle operations and HIPAA are required.
Skills: Thorough Paramedic level knowledge is required. Good working knowledge of emergency vehicle operation and radio operations is required. Thorough understanding of county and city mapping must be maintained. Math, including medical/medication calculations as well as medical documentation and computer skills are needed. The Paramedic must have good written and oral communication skills and be naturally self-motivated and a self-starter.
Problem Solving: Problem solving exists in this position due to working with limited supervision while providing emergency medical care. The Paramedic must be able to adapt to different situations and change.
Decision Making: Decision making exist in this position dealing with the formation of field impressions regarding medical condition and the ability to treat appropriately while reacting to changing critical conditions and/or environments.
Accountability: Employee is accountable and responsible for his/her vehicle, station, knowledge, patient care, required reports, patient confidentiality, equipment & supplies including controlled medications and narcotics. Paramedics are also accountable for medical care under physician direction and in accordance with specific state statutes. The Paramedic does not have budgetary control of the department.
Supervision: Limited supervision is provided to this employee, but some decisions are reviewed by the immediate supervisor and administration. Medical care is carefully reviewed by the Department Medical Quality Assurance Officer. The Paramedic must be able to work in a variety of environments and elements and exercise the ability to make life- saving decisions without direct supervision. The Paramedic does not have budgetary control of the department.
Personal Relations: Continual contact with other emergency agencies and public is occurs with this position. The Paramedic must routinely make a good representation of themselves, the department and the county to the public and other healthcare providers.
Working Conditions: Physical effort is required and exposures to infectious diseases when working are factors in this position. This is a highly stressful position with long working hours. Attending to critically ill patients and exposure to graphic injuries, death and dying are a frequent aspect of this position. May require working in extreme conditions such as weather or other hazards.
Physical Requirements: 80% of the time physical requirements in moving patients in excess of 200 pounds from the floor to a cot and then loading a cot into the back of the ambulance. When working with patients, the ability to bend, stoop and reach is required. However, there may be some walking, standing, lifting and carrying of moderate to heavy items. The ability to express or exchange ideas by means of written and verbal communications is a must. The ability to operate a motor vehicle is required.
11/20/2017 12:00:00 AM