To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Job Title: CVB DIRECTOR
Salary: $51438.00 Annually
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: CVB Director Please apply online at www.HRePartners.com.
FLSA: Exempt Salary: 76 $51,438.00/annual
Reports To: Board of County Commissioners/
CVB Advisory Board
Department: CVB Date: November 2017
The job duties of the CVB Director include but are not limited to; overseeing all administrative, operating, sales/marketing, publicity, promotions and advertising functions of the Geary County Convention and Visitor Bureau. Work involves positioning the community as a premier, year-round visitor destination and positively impacting the area economy through external marketing efforts aimed at target markets; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County employees, residents and the general public.
This is an appointed position under the direction of the County Commission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the CVB Director might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Ordinances for the position of CVB Director. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Develop strategies, programs, and tourism initiatives with support of the Advisory Board. Formulate for accurate economic impact of local events, inclusive of measuring hotel room nights and accurately measuring tourist impact. Gather competitive rates/quotes of local hotels for groups and other vendors. Coordinates tourism program and activities with other area programs, state and federal agencies. Scheduling and giving tours for tourist groups, which may include preparing an itinerary and welcome for each group.
- Establishes and maintains ongoing effective communications with governmental leaders, business and cultural institutional leaders, meetings, event planners, and the local/state tourism industry. Works with local committees to establish events and promotion for tourist from surrounding areas. Assisting in the development of a volunteer group for local events. Coordinates special events with other government and civic organizations, if needed.
- Attend training sessions to local industries on tourist attractions. Attends meetings, seminars, conventions, and workshops to further knowledge, stay informed of the changes in the tourism industry, and exchange information.
- Prepares and delivers speeches to both local and regional civic and governmental organizations on Tourism.
- Designs, develops and conducts familiarization tours of Geary County for media, leisure & group planners. Responsible for consulting with site directors, staff, and volunteers who serve in connection with historical sites, attractions, hotels, or other tourism related sites. Assist these sites with development of ideas, promotion and marketing in accordance with program of work and marketing plan mission.
- The CVB Director is responsible for maintaining continuity and consistency in programming. The CVB Director must use all available resources to anticipate emerging and long-range trends and recommend county programs to address such challenges. Represents the County in joint planning sessions to support & develop an overall destination strategy. Prepares and implements improvement plans; designs and develops educational programs, as needed.
- Develops and supervises the implementation of an annual operating budget and marketing plan, to promote the destination to local, state, regional, national, and international audiences. Prepares reports, annual budget and submits available grant applications for matching funds, that supports these activities and presents information to the Board of Commissioners for approval.
- Prepares and executes marketing plans; prepares and releases press kit to media and group planners. Participates in radio talk shows; provides current and updated information to the press. Prepares, updates and designs community profiles, photo library, and Geary County brochures. Develops an awareness program aimed at marketing the county to promote tourism initiatives and stimulate economic development.
- Direct the work and manage the staff of the CVB Department.
- Develop and administer operations and staff plans and objectives.
- Plan, direct, coordinate work activities of subordinates and review work.
- Assist with employee training and safety programs.
- Assign tasks, review work and prepare performance evaluations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing, public relations, hospitality services or a closely related filed. Experience in marketing, advertising or closely related field can be substituted for the education on a year for year basis.
- Three (3) years of experience in advertising, marketing, public relations, hospitality services or a closely related filed.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of area history, area attractions and/or fishing and water sports.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor.
- Ability to be detail oriented;
- Ability to work independently and meet deadline in multi task environment,
- Skill in displaying a high degree of tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies a consensus builder with the ability to form coalitions among differing viewpoints.
- energetic, positive, intelligent, hands-on with a strong sense of team, and able to maintain and grow the vision of Geary County Convention and Visitors Bureau (WCCVB).
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Knowledge of retail management, tour operators, conventions and meeting planners.
- Knowledge of marketing and advertising.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to negotiate contracts.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate an event.
- Sound fiscal management and budgeting skills.
- Skill in word processing, Excel and Power Point.
- Flexibility to work varied schedules including weekends and evenings.
- Strong team building and coaching skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to develop, interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, Federal, State, and local regulations, safety manuals, operating and repair manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others regarding policies and processes in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical calculations.
- Ability to prepare and monitor complex budget.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret financial reports and related materials.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works primarily in an office setting.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above, and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
11/20/2017 12:00:00 AM