To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Halstead
Job Title: Fire/EMS Division Chief
City of Halstead
Fire/EMS Division Chief
Reports To: Fire/EMS Chief and Deputy Chief / EMS Director
Effective: January 01/02/2018
Highly responsible managerial position requiring abilities in planning, organizing, and directing firefighter training, providing basic life support, fire inspections, apparatus maintenance and fire reporting activities of the Halstead Fire/EMS Department. Work of the Division Chief involves responsibility of supervising, directing and coordinating operational command duties within the framework of Halstead Fire/EMS and assisting the individual members in the their tasks.
1: Provides basic life support as needed; Provides firefighting skills as needed
2: Performs supervisory work, assisting in the operation of the department
3: Coordinates and monitors fire training: identifies needed training, develops and coordinates training programs, keeps and up-dates training records, develops goals, lesson plans, test, and evaluations.
4: Plans and schedules outside training and works as a Fire Department liaison for fire training events.
5: Provides fire inspections within the City of Halstead: Coordinates and monitors inspection records and annual reporting to “The Office of the State Fire Marshal”
6: Performs and monitors the Fire Department “National Fire Incident Reporting System”
7: Attends Meetings
8: Provides positive and strong leadership to subordinate personnel
9: Aids in coordinating and monitoring of fire/EMS apparatus operational condition, pumps and equipment testing, maintenance, equipment, and readiness.
10: Maintain and exhibit discretion and integrity at all times when handling confidential information and ensure department operations are in compliance with local, state and federal rules, regulations and guidelines
1: Assist in specification writing of department apparatus and equipment
2: Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objective, policies and priorities for the department
3: May serve as liaison for the department in various organizations
4: Performs other related work as required
Experience / Training:
- 5 years of Fire/EMS leadership as a lieutenant or above
- Certified Firefighter I & II – Hazardous Material Operations Level
- National Certified Inspector I - (preferred or within 1 year of employment)
- National Certified Instructor I
- Kansas Certified EMT or Above (Advanced preferred)
- NIMS level 300 (preferred)
- Associates Degree in Fire Science or related work experience (preferred)
- National Fire Incident Reporting Systems experience
- Fire Investigator - (Within 3 Years of Employment)
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Application and attendance at the National Fire Academy (encouraged)
Other Skills Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Competence with computers and office software
- Problem solving: including personnel management, scheduling, and dealing with citizen’s concerns and complaints.
- Decision making, detail oriented, and ability to work independently
- Supervisor Responsibilities: The Division Chief in this positon will supervise directly or through managers and subordinate supervisors, employees of the fire/EMS organization. Recommends disciplinary action when required.
This position requires work to be performed at fire/EMS scenes, in apparatus bays, training facilities, and other work related locations that will range from ideal to hazardous conditions. Outdoor work environments, hazardous scenes and location work should be anticipated.
Strenuous physical demand is expected of firefighters and fire officers. Individuals in this position are expected to be able to perform these functions
The statements in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive, but represents minimum elements and criteria considered necessary to adequately perform the job.
11/28/2017 12:00:00 AM
12/31/2017 11:59:59 PM