To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Wellington
Division: WATER PRODUCTION
Job Title: WATER PRODUCTION APPRENTICE/OPERATOR
Under supervision of the Water Production Supervisor, this position is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the City Water Treatment Plant, the water source pumping stations and their grounds and equipment. Duties are performed under direct supervision until such time that assigned work can be done independently.
- Checks, monitors and lubricates operating equipment and performs maintenance as required.
- Reads gauges and flowmeter charts and logs readings;
- Collects samples of water at various stages in the treatment process and performs standard laboratory tests and maintains related records;
- Operates the Water Treatment Plant, occasionally independently, including making decisions regarding backwashing, pumping and water supply source;
- Monitors and maintains outlying water pumping stations including wells, river and lake;
- Answers questions regarding water production.
- Accepts and monitors chemical deliveries;
- Cleans settling basins, loads chemical feeders and washes filters and basins;
- Performs routine custodial and building maintenance tasks such as painting, scraping, washing, mowing grass and shoveling snow;
- Performs other related duties as required.
Experience: Water treatment or public utility maintenance experience desirable.
Education/Licenses: Graduation from high school or vocational school or possession of a G.E.D. required. Chemistry background helpful. Ability to obtain a State of Kansas Class I Water Operator Certification after one year of employment. Possession of a valid State of Kansas Commercial Driver’s License
Technical Skills: Mechanical aptitude and ability to troubleshoot various types of equipment needed.
Problem Solving: Ability to understand and monitor water treatment processes needed.
Decision-Making: Limited decision making as part of the plant staff, however, when isolated on weekends and holidays, must be able to decide when additional help is necessary.
Supervision: Receives direct supervision from the Water Production Staff. This position is not responsible for supervising others.
Financial Accountability: Responsible for the City tools and equipment used in this department.
Personal Relations: Occasional contact with the general public. Must be able to tactfully answer questions or direct questions to upper management from the general pubic. Must be able to work well with co-workers.
Working Conditions: Combination inside and outside work around open water enclosures, machinery noise and chemical feed systems in all weather conditions.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to perform various appurtenance manipulation, cleaning, lifting, power tool use, climbing in and out of water enclosures. Ability to distinguish colors and color changing in various water testing and treating procedures.
SALARY RANGE IS $11.56 to $22.11 DOQ and/or certifications. EOE, DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE.
11/30/2017 12:00:00 AM
12/13/2017 11:59:59 PM