To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Emporia
Job Title: Education Coordinator David Traylor Zoo
Salary: $0 Hourly
Position Title: David Traylor Zoo Educational Coordinator
Salary Range: $13.62 - $19.26 (Depends on qualifications)
The purpose of this position is to coordinate, develop, implement and deliver the David Traylor Zoo’s educational programming. Other primary responsibilities include providing assistance in the daily husbandry and care for the educational animal collection, coordinating educational components by assisting with public relations and marketing efforts, and special project/events. The successful candidate will have strong verbal and written skills, organizational skills, and management/leadership skills. This position ensures optimal use of volunteers in aiding David Traylor Zoo’s mission to educate the public and aid staff in furthering our mission of wildlife conservation.
Essential Functions (includes but not limited to):
- Demonstrates a commitment to the Zoo’s mission statement and core values.
- Performs duties in a service-oriented manner.
- Recognizes the needs of others and treats others with respect and dignity.
- Maintains good working habits and adheres to all policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of all education programs, on and off-site for all ages.
- Create and implement new education programs meeting David Traylor Zoo’s mission of conservation.
- Plan and implement on-going volunteer education formally and informally.
- Develop and implement zoo camp and other youth programs as well as special events.
- Supervise volunteers on and offsite zoo grounds.
- Working with the Zoo Director and Lead Keeper, will comply with all Association of Zoos and Aquariums’(AZA) guidelines and safety recommendations in the use of education ambassador animals.
- Assist in training of ambassador animals for handling.
- Handle ambassador animals in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Conduct ambassador animal handling training for volunteers.
- Provide on-site and off-site interpretation for zoo guest using both touch carts and other education animals.
- Contribute articles for the publication of “Zoo Buzz” and quarterly newsletters.
- Manage the development and editing of animal fact sheets.
- Work with other departments to organize special events held at the Zoo and/or surrounding area.
- Birthday parties, scheduled on weekends from October thru April.
- Provide annual reports for EFOZ Board (or quarterly reports as requested)
- Staff classroom on Monday-Wednesday-Friday afternoons
Education Coordinator Position Requirements
- Must have strong knowledge of developmental stages in children.
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum appropriate to a variety of age groups.
- 1+ years animal handling experience.
- Knowledge of wildlife biology and educational methods
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Biology/Animal Science, Liberal Arts or related field or equivalent training/experience required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Enjoy people of all ages and skill levels.
- Have strong team building abilities.
- Strong public speaking and writing skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft word, Excel and any other pertinent programs.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Ability to understand and communicate clearly, in English, written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to communicate well through written and verbal means with individuals of all ages and abilities
This position supervises all docents and volunteers.
This position requires you to work closely with zoo/park staff and other city departments, teachers, parents, people of all ages and skill levels, City management, EFOZ Board, Universities, school administrators, AZA, etc.
- Indoor or Outdoor- working in all types of weather (heat, cold, dusty)
- Handling potentially dangerous animals
- Loud noises
- Position requires the ability to move about easily among various venues, both in and out of doors. Occasional lifting of 40 to 50 pounds is required.
- Position requires ability to remain on feet for long periods of time, climb stairs, bend and stoop.
- Position requires no impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance and agility of movement, which might interfere with ability to work.
- Position requires a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record.
- Position requires animal contact.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Machines, tools, equipment, and work aids used in this position:
- The ability to safely handle and operate hand and small power tools.
- The ability to use microscope and similar equipment.
Computer equipment and software used in this position:
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft office and Excel and any other pertinent programs.
11/30/2017 12:00:00 AM