To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: Community Corrections
Job Title: Juvenile Intake & Assessment Worker - GE - Nights
Salary: $10.00 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Juvenile Intake & Assessment Worker – GE - Nights
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: $10/hr. $25 Stipend
Reports To: Prevention Coordinator
Department: Community Corrections Date: May, 2015
The job duties of the Juvenile Intake & Assessment Worker include but are not limited to screen and conduct intake for juveniles; to be responsible for coordinating placement into foster care, emergency shelters, detention or attendant care; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to all county residents and the general public. Work schedule: 1 night weekly plus a Friday – Sunday shift every 4 weeks.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Juvenile Intake & Assessment Worker might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County Resolutions for the position of Juvenile Intake & Assessment Worker. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Provide crisis intervention services and serve as a resource broker.
- Provide pager coverage on a weekly basis during an assigned shift.
- Respond to the requesting Law Enforcement agency within 10 minutes by phone and be at the designated processing area for the intake within 30 minutes.
- Assist Law Enforcement and other Community Corrections staff with screening, placement, and release of juveniles taken into custody by law enforcement in the 8th Judicial District.
- Determine appropriate placement, taking into consideration the least restrictive placement, considering the safety of the child, the community, and the available community resources.
- Prepare reports including applicable POSIT and JIAQ forms.
- Provide transportation for juvenile offenders and children in need of care that are processed through the intake program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working with juvenile offenders.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- A valid Kansas driver’s license required.
- Must pass criminal background check, including Child Abuse and Adult Abuse check.
- Must be able to work flexible assigned shift:
- Day shift: M-F, 8am to 5pm or
- Night/Weekend: 5pm to 8am including all day and night on Sat & Sun as well as joining holidays.
- Must reside within a 30 mile radius of worksite within 90 days of employment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of Kansas criminal law needed as well as a strong understanding of the related Kansas Administrative Rule and Regulations.
- Knowledge of the policies and procedures of Community Corrections.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures unique and specific to Geary County and the 8th Judicial District.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with probation departments, outside service providers, and the community.
- Ability to work constructively and cooperatively with JCHS staff, public officials, and members of the public.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of equipment – standard office equipment, computer, pager, and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office software, etc.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate information and teach and train others regarding policies and processes in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 20 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in a community and law enforcement setting.
- Nature of the work may place employee in varying levels of stressful situations.
- Possible physical danger exists occasionally as employee works with youth and their family in crisis situations.
- Must be able to work a flexible assigned shift.
_____________________________ __________ __________________________ __________
Department Head Date Human Resources Director Date
I have reviewed the Job Description for the position of Intensive Supervision Officer I as well as the list of expectations for 8th Judicial District Community Corrections employees. I understand the position requirements described and agree to uphold the requirements to the best of my ability. Any questions I may have in relation to the work required of the position shall be brought to the attention of my supervisor.
Employee Signature Date
12/4/2017 12:00:00 AM