To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Mechanic
Salary: $15.67 Hourly
100% Responsible for maintenance and repair of all city vehicles and equipment.
- Conduct mechanical repairs and service work on all types of engines, city machinery, and equipment.
- Identify defects and troubleshoot problems with city equipment, and order and install parts as needed.
- Repair brakes, water pumps, radiators, carburetors, joints, front ends, and all other similar mechanic repairs.
- Replace clutches, bearings, pressure plates, flywheels, and starters.
- Mount and balance tires.
- Work on fire apparatus and emergency equipment.
- Organize and maintain all motor pool equipment in a safe and working order.
- Provide assistance with the inventory of parts and records.
- Prepare all records of maintenance and service work performed.
- Stock parts and supplies in a neat and orderly manner and notify supervisor when parts and supplies need to be ordered.
- Operate motor vehicle and other equipment on a regular basis.
- Work on 12V and 24V vehicle electrical systems.
- Use DVOM multi-meters to identify, diagnose, and repair electrical failures.
- Repair A/C and heating systems.
- Operate tire changer an balancer.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in reduced operating costs and liability and improved customer satisfaction, and utilization of material, and/or equipment.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Moderate problem solving is required. Decisions are reviewed by supervisor. All purchase requests are referred to supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization. Occasional interaction with vendors.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Technical training and certifications, preferred.
- Three years automotive mechanic or related experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of basic automotive, truck, and heavy equipment operations and functions.
- Ability to operate all department equipment.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with employees and the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of diagnostic equipment, software, and procedures.
- Valid Kansas commercial driver’s license with air-brake endorsement required within 90 days of employment and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements..
- ASE certification, preferred.
Work Environment: Some exposure to adverse weather conditions, high noise levels, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Regular (50%) carrying, lifting, moving of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, manual dexterity, and hand/eye coordination throughout the day. Must be available for on-call.
12/20/2017 12:00:00 AM