To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Utility Operator I
Salary: $14.50 Hourly
40% Responsible for utility distribution, collection and operation.
- Respond to emergency calls for possible water distribution system problems or wastewater collection system problems.
- Operate power drawn pumps and related machinery.
- Conduct daily checks of operation gages.
- Operate motor vehicle on a regular basis.
- Cross train and fill in as needed to assist in water, wastewater or storm water operations.
- Install and maintain all water services. (distribution)
- Provide connection and disconnection of water services. (distribution)
- Read water meters and record volume used by customers for billing. (distribution)
- Sample and analyze water, and/or draw samples to be sent to State for quality and compliance with applicable drinking water standards. Report results to the appropriate parties. (distribution)
- Investigate and address customer concerns on water use and advise customers on water conservation practices. (distribution)
- Operate multiple computer applications including a utility billing software, digital forms software, SCADA system, and radio read software. (distribution)
- Operate distribution system equipment, including a motor vehicle, back hoe, hydro excavation unit, dump truck, shoring equipment, and tapping machines. (distribution)
- Locate, inspect, rehabilitate, and assist in raising manholes. (collection)
- Inspect, clean, and televise wastewater collection lines. (collection)
- Operate collection system equipment, including jet truck, combo truck, televising equipment, and easement machines (collection).
- Collect samples of sewage and effluent at various stages of processing (operation).
40% Responsible for asset maintenance and repair.
- Troubleshoot problems and maintain all department equipment and machines in good working condition.
- Maintain utility facilities in a clean and safe condition.
- Conduct minor maintenance tasks, including general construction, painting, ground maintenance, and assisting with snow removal as required.
- Collaborate with other divisions to maintain the storm water sewer system.
- Assist the fire department with the fire hydrant maintenance program. (distribution)
- Conduct routine maintenance and repair on the water facilities and distribution systems. (distribution)
- Locate and repair water leaks and maintain water mains, pumping facilities, valves, water storage facilities, and main-to-meter service lines. (distribution)
- Conduct routine maintenance and repairs on wastewater collection systems. (collection)
- Conduct routine maintenance and repairs on the wastewater treatment plant. (operation)
- Inspect and maintain all pumps and motors. (operation)
20% Responsible for records and reports.
- Prepare and maintain proper records, reports, and documents related to the division in an organized manner.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in improved operating costs, utilization of material and/or equipment, and public satisfaction.
Latitude: Duties are assigned by supervisor. Most problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently. All purchase requests must be approved by supervisor.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization and the general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- One year wastewater treatment/collection systems experience, preferred. (collection and operation)
- One year water treatment/distribution systems experience, preferred. (distribution)
- General knowledge of mechanics, wastewater/water testing equipment, wastewater/water plant maintenance and operation, and minor electrical work.
- General knowledge of computers with the ability to operate and comprehend a professional level utility billing software, digital forms software, SCADA system, and radio read software.
- Ability to apply intermediate level mathematics skills.
- Ability to operate all division equipment and machinery.
- Ability to read and use blueprints.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- Valid Kansas commercial driver’s license, required within 90 days of employment.
- Class I KDHE Wastewater Operator certification, required within eighteen months of employment. (collection and operation)
- Class I KDHE Water Operator certification, required within eighteen months of employment. (distribution)
Work Environment: Frequent (75%) exposure to adverse weather conditions, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Frequent (40%) carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 90 pounds. Occasional climbing in and out of manholes and other confined spaces. Frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, sitting, standing, walking, climbing stairs, reaching forward and overhead, and twisting. Fine hand coordination, simple hand grasping, and ability to operate controls required. Must be able to wear face masks. Must be available for on-call, overtime, weekends and holidays. Must reside within a within a 30 minute lawful drive time of City limits.
12/20/2017 12:00:00 AM