To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: Geary County
Division: Public Works
Job Title: Assistant Shop Supervisor
Salary: $16.74 Hourly
GEARY COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Assistant Shop Supervisor
FLSA: Non-Exempt Salary Range: $16.74/hr.
Reports To: Shop Supervisor
Department: Public Works Department Date: December 2017
The job duties of the Assistant Shop Supervisor include but are not limited to repair and maintain equipment; to perform routine manual work in the maintenance of county roads by operating light and heavy equipment, snow removal and mowing when needed; and to provide responsive, courteous and efficient service to County residents and the general public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the Assistant Shop Supervisor might be asked to perform. This job description is to incorporate any County resolutions for the position of Maintenance Worker. This position description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Geary County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Perform welding of equipment and repair of equipment.
- Identify and perform repairs and maintenance on all vehicles and equipment that are both heavy and light including small pieces of equipment and tools.
- Perform routine maintenance such as oil changes, fluid and hose replacements.
- Maintain records of routine maintenance performed on equipment such as oil changes, fluid and hose replacement.
- Oversee maintenance of equipment at off-site shops.
- Work on diagnosing problems and resolve them in the most economical manner.
- Prepare equipment for extreme weather conditions.
- Change and/or Repair tires.
- Operate and perform spray painting.
- Inspect equipment for problems other than those reported by individual operators.
- Maintain records on purchases, and repairs.
- Maintain inventory on equipment parts and supplies for the department.
- Operate all vehicle servicing tools and equipment.
- Operate equipment such as a tandem truck, semi-tractor trailer, or front-end loader in the transportation of materials and heavy equipment when needed.
- Assist in snow & ice removal operations when needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required at the time of hire or for the continuation of employment.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Vocational training in mechanics preferred.
- Two (2) years of experience in the repair and maintenance of construction equipment and/or heavy equipment. Vocational training in mechanics may be substituted for the required experience.
- A current Class A Kansas CDL with tanker endorsement.
- Must obtain a Class C Underground Storage Tank Certification within six (6) months.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of performing repairs on trucks, tractors, and all related construction equipment required.
- Ability to diagnose and repair vehicle and equipment mechanical problems.
- Ability to operate all public works equipment.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
- Ability to take control of situations in a responsible manner.
- Ability to comprehend, retain and apply County, State, and Federal policies and legislation, i.e. local resolutions and ordinances, procedure manuals, warning labels, etc.
EQUIPMENT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Ability to operate various types of office equipment – standard office equipment, computer, etc.
- Ability to operate a motor grader, loaders, dozers, roadside mowers, trucks and other related equipment.
- Ability to operate power tools, air hammer, etc.
- Other equipment could be required.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a professional and friendly manner with customers, citizens, co-workers and management.
- Ability to communicate in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to communicate and convey information regarding policies and processes to others in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances posed by the public.
- Ability to define problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations.
- Ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 100 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- Works in both an indoor setting as well as outdoors.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather when required.
- Due to the volume, scope, size of staff and nature of public service this office provides, full-time regular attendance is essential.
_____________________________ __________ _______________________ __________
Supervisor Date Department Head Date
Human Resources Director Date
EMPLOYEE REVIEW: I have read the above, and understand that it is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performing this job. It is not an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. I have been given a copy of this description.
_______________________________ ___________ _____________________________________
Incumbent’s Signature Date Incumbent’s name printed
12/29/2017 12:00:00 AM