To apply for this vacancy Log In
Create an Account
Employer: City of Derby
Job Title: Part-time Shelter Coordinator
Salary: $15.59 Hourly
Act as a liaison with community partners.
- Contact Derby Schools and churches with facilities capable of providing shelter during severe weather.
- Provide training to community shelter partners for staff concerning emergency actions.
- Assess possible needs of shelters and staff to include warning devices, pet protection and possible medical supplies.
Recruit volunteers to oversee emergency storm shelters.
- Assess needed staffing for community shelters.
- Recruit, train and oversee volunteer staff for staffing shelters.
Respond during severe weather events.
- Ensure volunteer staffing is adequate during severe weather events.
- Ensure that all posted shelters have been opened and operating.
- Collect data concerning number of people sheltered.
- Assess condition of shelters following usage and ensure they are returned to their original condition.
(Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address needs.)
Roles: This position requires the ability to work independently, work well with others, and perform in a team environment on a daily basis. The ability to withstand physical activity, control emotions and actions, and respond quickly and logically during stressful situations is required.
Work Schedule: This position is part time and will require the individual to work on short notice. Will include working evenings and weekends depending on weather events and staff availability.
Impact: Successful completion of work tasks results in increased safety and community satisfaction.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Most decisions are reviewed by others. Must be honest and trustworthy.
Interaction: This position requires frequent face-to-face interaction with local faith-based leaders, USD 260 facility managers and the general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Associate’s degree public safety field, preferred.
- Experience in emergency services, preferred.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Able to coordinate and direct volunteer workers.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license, and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- Multiple emergency training sessions required, including National Incident Management System IS-100; IS-700.A; IS-200.B; IS-235.C; IS-230.D; and IS-244.B, required within one year.
Physical: Must be able to work in inclement weather for extended periods of time. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 30 lbs.
Work Environment: Exposure to adverse weather conditions. Use of personal vehicle required.
1/1/2018 12:00:00 AM