Employer: City of Winfield
Job Title: Water System Worker I
Position Title: Water System Worker I
Department: Water Distribution
Reports to: Underground Supervisor or Assigned Supervisor
Category: Non Exempt
Pay Grade: 10 ($13.41-$19.60)
Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled labor in the installation and maintenance of water distribution, transmission mains and appurtenances. Operates a variety of equipment.
• Operates a dump truck, backhoe, skid loader and other heavy equipment.
• Operates a jackhammer, tamper, pumps, air compressor, thawing machine, pipe saw and various other equipment in the construction and repair of water distribution systems.
• Installs new and repairs existing water mains, gate valves, fire hydrants and related materials.
• Follows all city and state safety regulations.
• Works on cast iron, ductile, concrete, galvanized, copper and plastic mains or lines..
• Sets meter bases.
• Repairs streets and yards.
• Checks gate valves and hydrants.
• Will work some weekends, holidays and responds to after hour calls.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, superiors, other agencies, and the public.
• Deals with the public in a manner that positively promotes the image of the City and handles complaints tactfully.
• All employees of the City of Winfield are subject to immediate callout when an emergency, disaster or breach of homeland security occurs. Such call to respond and assist may involve those activities to his/her regular job responsibilities and incorporate other non-job related duties as necessary and required of an employee. An employee’s response to these matters may require the working of unusual, long hours over an extended period of time with infrequent breaks or rest periods.
• “This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.”
• Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
• Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
• Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
• Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
• Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
• Identification of Key Causes -Identifying the things that must be changed to achieve a goal.
• Management of Material Resources - Obtaining and seeing to the appropriate use of equipment, facilities, and materials needed to do certain work.
• Control Precision—The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
• Deductive Reasoning—The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
• Written Comprehension—The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
• Oral Comprehension—The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Experience and Education:
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school, and two years of experience in water maintenance or related work.
• Ability to become certified in water distribution, back flow, and cross connection after one year of appointment to the position.
• Possession of a valid commercial driver's license.
• Ability to perform heavy physical work and ability to lift over 100 pounds and to lift and carry up to 75 pounds.
• Ability to stand, walk, sit, climb, bend, crawl, push, pull, reach and perform similar body movements.
• Possesses hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to operate vehicles, medium equipment and tools.
• Ability to talk and hear in person, by telephone and two-way radio; ability to see and read instructions, and observe work in progress.
1/5/2018 12:00:00 AM