Employer: Riley County
Job Title: Public Works Operator II
Salary: $16.41 Hourly
RILEY COUNTY, KANSAS JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: PUBLIC WORKS OPERATOR II
Department: Public Works Division: Road & Bridge
Reports To: Appropriate Crew Supervisor or the Operations Manager
Pay Grade: I Status: Full time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
An employee in this position operates construction equipment, maintenance equipment, other tools and equipment, and performs manual tasks needed to maintain roads, bridges, culverts, drainage structures and road rights-of-way in conformance with plans, specifications and procedures as directed, to assure that high quality safe public works facilities and infrastructures are properly maintained for use by the general public.
This employee works under the direction of the supervisor in charge of the activity and is expected to carry out and complete work details as directed. Supervision is provided by the Supervisor through consultations and review of the work performed.
- Ensures duties are carried out in accordance with County and Departmental policies and guidelines.
- Ensures time management on projects is sufficient.
- Provides for regular and punctual attendance and fosters a cooperative work environment.
- Operates road and bridge equipment necessary to carry out their daily activities.
- Transfers equipment to and from the job site.
- Constructs and maintains surfaced and unsurfaced roads such as asphalt roads, gravel roads, dirt roads, road entrances and intersections. Paves, patches, crackfills, and seals asphalt roads.
- Assists with construction and maintenance of surfaced and unsurfaced roads.
- Assists with the construction and maintenance metal culverts, concrete culverts, bridges, and erosion control structures.
- Assists with the demolition of bridges and other structures.
- Constructs and maintains stream channels, ditches, waterways, and other drainage structures.
- Loads, hauls, and stockpiles aggregates and other materials.
- Maintains equipment assigned and clears a snow removal route as assigned.
- Helps maintain traffic control devices and performs traffic control in work zones in conformance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Maintains daily labor, equipment, and material use records to report time worked and equipment used.
- Maintains signs and other traffic control devices such as regulatory, warning, guide, service, school, pedestrian, road name, hazard, and work zone signs in conformance with the Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Places temporary striping and centerline tabs on new asphalt paving and sealing projects.
- Performs daily operator maintenance to fuel, lubricate, and clean equipment.
- Maintains facilities and storage yards, picks up trash, cleans facilities, and performs general maintenance.
- Periodically inspects equipment assigned to ensure units are clean and maintenance is being performed adequately.
- Performs light surveying and other work associated with the lay out of road surfaces, shoulders, ditches, back-slopes, and structures.
- Assists with dispatching, telephone and 2-way radio communications.
- Operates computers and other electronic equipment such as laser levels, distance measuring equipment, underground utility locators and GPS locators.,
- Inspects paved and gravel surfaced roads for condition, road hazards, traction, and other safety considerations and initiates corrective actions.
- Performs carpentry work constructing small office projects, setting concrete forms, and making wood deck repairs.
- Participates in staff meetings, safety meetings and other related activities.
- Position may require occasional overtime that will be outside normal work hours which may include weekends.
- May be required to perform related work as required during and after hours, any day of the week, including holidays.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Any satisfactory equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed below will be accepted.
- This position requires the employee to provide and carry a personal cell phone and will be reimbursed as per the County’s Cell Phone Policy. The cell phone is to be utilized to carry out county related functions in accordance with Departmental Policies and Procedures.
- This position requires a high school education or equivalent.
- Vo-Tech training preferred.
- A Class A Commercial License and tanker endorsement shall be obtained within the first 90 days of employment in this position.
- This position requires five years experience operating equipment performing general construction work.
- Experience in carpentry, concrete work setting forms, placing steel, and finishing preferred.
- Two years of concrete construction, asphalt maintenance, or earth grading experience.
- Two years of operating basic computer software (ie. microsoft office) is required.
- Knowledge of the materials, equipment, methods, and practices essential to the maintenance and construction of county roads.
- Knowledge of the general practices, laws and regulations applied to the care and safe operation of heavy duty construction and maintenance equipment.
- Knowledge of the applicable work safety rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of asphalt properties, application rates, and production timing.
- Knowledge of concrete properties, quantity calculations, finishing techniques, curing rates, and production timing.
Supervisory Control: The employee is generally assigned recurring and routine tasks, but refers deviations, problems, and unfamiliar situations to the supervisor. Work is checked for appropriateness and completeness through inspections by their Supervisor or the Operations Manager.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position may supervise seasonal employees during summer months and occasionally other times of the year. Occasionally supervises crew work in the absence of the supervisor.
Complexity: The work involves routine related tasks that require special knowledge regarding proper road and bridge maintenance techniques. This person must have the ability to identify and correct road surface deficiencies to provide safe driving conditions for the general public. The decision regarding what needs to be done is routine, in strict accordance with written policies and regulations, but sometimes involves difficult situations dealing with the public.
Scope & Effect of Work: The main purpose of the work is to operate the equipment needed to maintain and construct asphalt and gravel roads, ditches, drainage structures, waste disposal areas, and other public works facilities. Remove snow and ice from roadways.
A person in this position is required to respond to road and bridge emergencies when they become apparent, and to initiate corrective actions to protect the traveling public.
Personal Contacts: Supervisors, employees, other departments, other government agencies, vendors, suppliers, and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: To gather or to disseminate information, to persuade or be persuaded, to build rapport and cooperation, to provide a service, to represent Riley County and make decisions on behalf of Riley County. Receive instructions and work scheduling, receives complaints from the general public and reports complaints received to their supervisor or the operations manager.
Physical Demands/Effort: The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work encompasses primarily field work. This work requires occasional to moderate physical exertion. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger; handle; feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel; crouch; crawl; talk to hear. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and peripheral vision. The work requires sufficient body flexibility and strength to access construction projects. Exposure to machinery, heights, excessive noise, corrosive solvents, hot materials, flammable liquids and work in extremes of heat, humidity, wind and cold are expected.
Work Environment/Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A portion of the work involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting or training rooms. The work performed in the field exposes an employee to a variety of different conditions. Work is mostly performed in the field where conditions can be very hot or cold, rainy, cold, or snowy. A person in this position is exposed to many safety hazards while working in and around work zones immediately adjacent to high volume traffic, at heights 10 feet or more above the ground, near power tools, large moving equipment, near heavy bridge and culvert materials lifted overhead, near asphalt materials with temperatures in excess of 300 degrees F, gases, corrosive solvents, petroleum fluids and other flammable liquids. An employee in this position is often required to work in deep trenches or excavations which require shoring or other special precautions. This employee may be required to use protective clothing such as a hard hat, safety vest, boots, goggles, gloves, safety glasses, Nomex coveralls, face mask or shield.
Riley County is accepting applications for a Public Works Operator II who is responsible for operating construction equipment, maintenance equipment, other tools and equipment, and performs manual tasks needed to maintain roads, bridges, culverts, drainage structures and road rights-of-way in conformance with plans, specifications and procedures as directed, to assure that high quality safe public works facilities and infrastructures are properly maintained for use by the general public.
Applicant shall be a high school graduate or equivalent, requires five years-experience operating equipment performing general construction work, experience in carpentry, concrete work setting forms, placing steel, and finishing preferred, Two years of concrete construction, asphalt maintenance, or earth grading experience, Two years of operating basic computer software (ie. microsoft office) is required
and poses a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License with a tanker endorsement.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
1/22/2018 12:00:00 AM